Laptop Battery Will Not Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop. Just yesterday, I was using it on battery, which was at full charge when I took it off AC Power.

About a month ago, I had the battery replaced, because my old one provided me with a charge lasting only 30 minutes, and for a college student, it is not easy to drag around the power adapter everywhere I go.

It has been running fine until today. From what I can tell, the light that goes on when the battery is charging does not come on when the computer is on, but when it's off it comes on.

Everything I've checked says my laptop battery is "performing normally" and what not.

I highly doubt It's the outlet that I am using, as I've been using it for 3 days with no problem.

The last thing I have to check is my power pack, but I don't just have another one lying around.

Any help is appreciated.

Kimsland --> I got it from some other company, but I made sure that It matched my battery 100%. The only difference I can tell is that it doesn't say dell on it.

But.... I think I fixed the problem... somehow.

To be honest I'm not sure what I did that fixed my problem.

I just shut it down a couple of times, and got to the boot menu (f12 from start up) and ran diagnostics.

which I don't think should have worked? but after that, it says I have a 100% charge.

This all just happened a little too fast, and If I knew that that would happen, I probably would have never posted this thread

But I would still like to know what caused this problem. I just hope that it wont occur again. And if it does, hopefully I will know what it is that fixed this problem

There are occasionally battery calibration programs available for laptops on the manufacturer's sites. They drain the battery and calibrate the meter so that it knows where the bottom is really located.

If it is a NiCad battery, it should be fully discharged before recharging. These batteries have a "memory" effect, so that if you recharge them when they are only half discharged, they "remember" that level as the minimum and will only hold half a charge from then on.

some batteries are just a pain in the rectum as you don't know how long it was stored in the warehouse before sales. I suggest returning. The hassle of calibrating it may be more trouble than its worth. Get a replacement and then ensure the new one is fully discharged before charging it initially.

I'm still running on the original battery in my Toshiba. I remember to drain it every now and then - however this bat is about 4 years old and never really had a long discharge time from the start - only about an hour.

some batteries are just a pain in the rectum as you don't know how long it was stored in the warehouse before sales. I suggest returning. The hassle of calibrating it may be more trouble than its worth. Get a replacement and then ensure the new one is fully discharged before charging it initially.

I'm still running on the original battery in my Toshiba. I remember to drain it every now and then - however this bat is about 4 years old and never really had a long discharge time from the start - only about an hour.

The Lithium and NiMH batteries will last longer if they are treated with kid gloves and recharged before they run down very far. Sometimes it's just pure luck how lng they are going to last.

mmm ok, my battery is fine now people

My old battery lasted me for over 2 years, I only got the new one because I needed it for college (25 minutes running on the fewest possible programs just wasn't worth the hassle)

How did you fix it?

I have no idea! I was researching how to discharge my battery, but couldn't do it. Then I ran diagnostics off of the f12 menu on startup, and bam, it was fixed

For some reason, when I found out that it was fixed, my battery was at 100% charge.

I don't know what happened... or how it really got fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back