Laptop data lost?

Well, i'm bewildered to say the least.
Was on my laptop (Compaq laptop, not sure which as I can't seem to find it on Ebuyer anymore) until about 3am maybe. Was fine then, and has been fine since I got it back in September I think it was.
Turned it on at about 4:15pm today, and near on everything has gone. Managed to get onto my browser (Chrome), can't anymore, and all the history had gone. Can't sign into MSN as my contact list isn't ready, or something like that. Lost all the stuff I had on sticky notes, and in folders.
Tried restarting, and turned it off then left it, then turned it on again, still the same. Had a message saying something like, 'can't log onto user desktop, therefore logging onto default user desktop' happen twice though.
Really confused by this. Just wondering if anyone knows why it might of gone like this?
By the way, it's running Windows 7 Premium (came with this on it).

Thanks.

Can you restart your pc in 'safe mode'? (power on, then tap F8 key quickly) till a black screen with white text appears. Use the cursor keys to scroll down to 'Last known good configuration', highlight it, 'enter'. See if that gets you back to your own desktop.

Make sure you are still admin. You may have been logged in under a new profile, it happened occasionally in XP.
Like Mike said a reboot may be all you need. Look in hidden files for your stuff under your username.

Back