Laptop does not start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,

I am facing a strange problem. My Laptop is totally dead (Not responds after pressing power button) but when i plug the adapter the battery LED is emitting and showing its full charge color. What are possible problems? Can you give some solutions?

Try this:

Unplug all externals (basically any USB device or Network card)
Remove the Power adaptor
Remove the Battery (that's presently fully charged)
Hold down the Laptop ON switch for 30 secs (dispersing all internal voltage)
Put the Power Adaptor back in only
Try turning on

Didn't work?

Remove the Power Adaptor
Disperse the voltage (30 secs again)
Remove the Ram cover (underneath)
Reseat the Ram(s)
You could also try reseating the HardDrive as well (whilst at that point)
Try turning on

Still Didn't work?
How good are you at taking laptops apart !

Try this:

Unplug all externals (basically any USB device or Network card)
Remove the Power adaptor
Remove the Battery (that's presently fully charged)
Remove the Ram cover (underneath)
Reseat the Ram(s)
You could also try reseating the HardDrive as well (whilst at that point)
Hold down the Laptop ON switch for 30 secs (dispersing all internal voltage)
Try turning on

you didnt mention what kind of laptop it is, did you? all of the above is very good advice, generally. but certain laptops will start up, at least, with a little pressure in the right spot on the outer casing.

problem there is dry joints on the main board, a common problem on a particular type of laptop, thats why it might be important to provide this info. lots of laptops have wierd little things that are common to that brand or series.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Yesterday,I have tried by unplugging and plugging the Adapter and battery and also tried by pressing the power switch for more than 20secs. But nothing was happened. After being tired i didn't touch the laptop for a day. But, today, when i pressed the power button it works and the laptop seems quite ok.
My Laptop model is Acer Aspire 4720z. I have bought it 4 months ago. So, warranty exists. But, how i would show the problems? And does the problem serious?

Yesterday,I have tried by unplugging and plugging the Adapter and battery and also tried by pressing the power switch for more than 20secs. But nothing was happened
Did you then go on and reseat the Ram and/or HardDrive?

I am aware that it now works. But I was wondering if you had also tried this at the time.

I sent my laptop back to HP on july 15th via FEDEX warranty, came back on the 18th and was just as dead as when I sent it , it flew back to Houston yesterday july 21 waiting for its return trip. The DV2000 laptop is getting frequent flyer miles. Same problem, no boot, did all of the things but just got nice blue lights and no screen or boot up. Machine is 1 year and 3 months and is really out of warranty BUT they told me no charge and would fix it. Well they tried the first time I wonder what will be on the second try ??

Yes I read all about the HP issues about 3 months ago, my model is not listed under the dv2000 serial numbers, but the issue is exactly what is stated in the enhancement warranty. I told the tech people that at 1am that saturday night. They were very good about the saying they would fix it for no charge. Funny though it came back from HP just as dead as it left.

So we sent it back yesterday they recieved it today. We shall see.

As I bang around on this 300 dollar E Machine 2 year old PC in the office.

Thanks for the link.

I hear that HP have some new models to replace your old Emachine :)
Actually shop around (if you decide to update your office computer)
I hope others don't have to use it! Sometimes the boss of work places aren't aware of how difficult it is to put up with old computer systems.
(until they use it themselves)

The ACER Aspire warranty folks may be aware of the problem. Give them a call.

I mailed them(ACER support). They suggested me to restore to factory settings. But, i am not getting the reason for restoring.

kimsland; said:
Did you then go on and reseat the Ram and/or HardDrive?

No, i didn't touch the RAM or Hard disk. Automatically after 1 day it started.

If it happens again, I suggest to do that
It was probably just a poor connection to the Ram (likely)
After moving it about a bit, the Ram has then made contact

Anyway, that's my assumption, could be wrong!

But it works now :)

Today It again went off without notice :dead:

I am starting to think buying the least expensive laptop and when it breaks just replacing the thing. Kinda like TVs nowadays, I mean I never was big into a 50 inch flat screen I still only want to pay around 200 dollars for a 25 or 27 inch TV, so it goes with a laptop, maybe those dells for 499 are the answer. Maybe even 399 when they send you the catalog.

As I still wait for my HP laptop that has so many frequent flyer miles to Houston vis fedex the past three weeks.

They promised everyone $100 laptops will be available to all
But then they all got shipped to the 3rd world, (and on eBay for $600)

Where's my $100 laptop the 2006 news report told me I'd be able to buy ? :mad:

They promised everyone $100 laptops will be available to all
But then they all got shipped to the 3rd world, (and on eBay for $600)

Where's my $100 laptop the 2006 news report told me I'd be able to buy ? :mad:

That is just it, could you imagine how many laptops at say $159 or $199 a company could sell??? There are lines out the walmart doors at Xmas time for the sale of 10 laptops at 299!!!

Someone is missing the boat on this one.

Maybe we need to start the company that produces the laptop under 200 dollars and sell them on QVC!!

Whoa,

I just got a phone call from HP!! Yes they had sent me a survey via email yesterday and I gave an honest opinion of what has transpired so far with trying to fix my HP laptop. He gave me his number he said he was going to contact technical who is fixing the laptop and would get back to me. Said they were terribly sorry and would do right by me.

Who knows but I was surprised to say the least. We shall see.

Ok now, we are now past the day HP promised the Laptop would be fixed and returned. Well it still in Houston. No new date has been emailed to me.

Oh well I guess the part is on order OR the laptop is still not fixed because the tech guy is not sure what is wrong with it OR it is sitting on a desk waiting its turn to be looked at.

Which one do you guys think it is?

I think they didn't get it done by Friday, and Friday is a catch-up day. They won't finish now until Tuesday... Ship Tuesday after 4 p.m. or Wednesday.
You see, techs aren't management. They fix things. They don't release them until they are fixed, so this is a good thing.

They are probably in utter confusion for its return
They're probably waiting on the go ahead from the ones in charge

You can hurry the process by stating you need it for business reasons, and you are losing money.

It's a white lie that will help you. Or it's true :)

Ok now, we are now past the day HP promised the Laptop would be fixed and returned. Well it still in Houston. No new date has been emailed to me.

Oh well I guess the part is on order OR the laptop is still not fixed because the tech guy is not sure what is wrong with it OR it is sitting on a desk waiting its turn to be looked at.

Which one do you guys think it is?

Well on the website today they say they are waiting for a part for the dv2000 laptop.

Sooo I guess it was number 1 on my thoughts on when I might get said machine back from Houston.

:rolleyes:

Its all good this Emachine is still working for me in the HPs absence.

Hmm, you're starting to sound too happy.
You know it's a bigger fall, if things don't go well, from this :D to this :( and then this :mad:

No no, I feel optimistic too, please keep us informed. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back