Laptop keeps shutting down unexpectedly

I have an Asus K55V series laptop - with an I3 2350m CPU, and Nvidia 620m GPU.

The laptop is around two years old, and I have a friend who has had the exact same laptop for the same amount of time. Around one year ago the laptop began to shut down randomly, I.e. no indication of it shutting down, just a black screen (as if you hold the power button down on a computer; not press and release, until it instantly shuts down).

Originally, it did not shut down anymore than once every couple of months, however, now it has drastically increased. In the UK, as it's summer, it reached 35 degrees celcius a few days ago; the laptop shutting down about 5 times that day.

I am certain it's not a software issue, as I've tried multiple system rollbacks, all having no effect.
I keep the laptop on a cooling pad.
I've also downloaded two hardware temperature monitors (Realtemp and HWMonitor): the results of these show that when idle, the laptop is around 55 degrees Celsius. On load (games etc), it can reach around 75.

However, what I don't understand, is as I'm monitoring the temperature (idle and on load), when it was 55 degrees it shut down, but when it reached 75 it did not. The shut downs occur mainly at mid day when the room is hottest, and less frequently when I have not been using it for a while.

I keep the laptop's software and hard drives etc maintained; defraggs, disk cleanups antivirus checks, malware checks - so I'm positive it isn't a software issue.

As there's a strong correlation between the temperature (now that it's summer) and the shutting down, it leads me to believe it's an over heating problem.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Yes laptops are more prone to have over-heating issues than desktop computers. After a time, the laptop's cooling ports may let in dust and dirt clogging these ports, and heat may cause drying out the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU causing them to over-heat

Yes laptops are more prone to have over-heating issues than desktop computers. After a time, the laptop's cooling ports may let in dust and dirt clogging these ports, and heat may cause drying out the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU causing them to over-heat

Thanks for the reply, but do you have any advice on how to fix this.
In addition, why would the laptop be shutting off at random temperatures, I.e. 55 and not 75?

Back