Laptop keyboard malfuction, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could hep me, I am not a huge computer guy

I am pretty upset, I bought a new 700 dollar laptop about 4 months ago, now im on my old computer because last night I tried cleaning the keyboard, i used a small amount of windex, then I wiped it with a paper towel and I hit all the keys on the keyboard I hit the keys with the towel fairly hard, and it even closed out some of my programs.

So I noticed that my space bar was sticking after this ordeal. So i tried to lift it up to clean under it, and i did notice a piece of food or something, I cleaned it out and popped the space bar back on and then it just didnt work at all, so popped it back out and cleaned it again (no windex) just with a dry towel, and now when I hit my space bar it hits the number "4 4" so if i hit the spacebar 2 times it goes "4 4 4 4" and when I hit the number 4 it does the same thing.

If i bit backspace it hits like CP. If i hit f4 it hits the number 4. If I hit the letter F it types in my time (like july 2 2010 10:30pm)

Im at my ends here, does anyone have a fix, or do i need to take it into the shop, or get a new computer?

Thanks a ton for hearing me out, have a nice day.

Also on im a toshiba a505 satelite on windows 7

Also I tried to system restore, and use it in a cmd.exe in safemode and it does the same thing, seems to be a hardware issue im guessing?

Your will likely need to replace the keyboard... they run about $30 to $50 depending on where you find them... That ammonia and water in the Windex has likely shorted out some switches on the keyboard.

Something that also sometimes works, it to remove the keyboard, and lay it upside down for at least 48 hours, spraying a can of dust off into all components periodically. The point is to get all moisture and ammonia out of the system.
You remove the keyboard from the screws in the bottom of the Toshiba... usually 8 screws, but on some models, 12 screws... keep track of where each screw size goes.
Or you could try to get Toshiba to replace the keyboard under warranty... as you don't know for sure why this happened.

Thanks Ray

Ill try to let dry out, little nervous about opening the laptop up, ill try keeping it open, and shut off and see if that works, i dont mind paying 50+ for a keyboard as long as I can, i was under the impression that it was impossible on a laptop; good news.

Thank you very much have a good weekend

I guess I would not attempt to remove the keyboard as long as the computer is still under warranty. Because if you have another problem and Toshiba sees the marks on the screws, they will say your warranty is void.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back