Laptop needs help

Chronus

Hello, I had difficulty with my laptop a couple of weeks ago to the point where I had to do a "refresh" on the laptop.

I had installed Comodo Firewall, and after a time, my computers mouse would lag to the point of interoperability. When the computer would restart I would get a BSoD. After uninstalling Comodo and using the windows repair kit from Techspot, I managed to get the computer working, or so I thought. The SFC /scannow reported errors it could not fix. When Windows decided to update, I shut it down, and then turned it back on, only for windows to BSoD on startup, even before reaching safe mode. Windows could not launch from the hard drive for whatever reason. I could access it threw the command prompt in the windows RE, so I performed the repair commands that I could.

I could not do a refresh using the one key recovery that came with my Lenovo Y510P, nor could I do so with the Windows 8.1 Pro installation disk. When I tried, they both stated the drive was locked.

I was; however, able to do a refresh on windows using a USB recovery I made with another laptop.

~~

After doing the refresh and upgrading my laptop back to 8.1 pro I've been having some difficulties getting things to work as they should. Every so often my computer lags/stutters, and I see the working icon on the mouse. During this time, I get returned to the desktop no matter where I happen to be at the time.

Out of curiosity, I ran a scan/log only of hijack this, and it showed a lot of missing files. I did not have it perform any actions.

I have run Avast scans, and malware bytes scans, and neither have picked anything up. Since my laptop is 8.1 I cannot do a DDS scan, as it results in a "Cannot run in compatibility mode."

If you could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• MBlog.txt
    1 KB · Views: 0
After restoring computer to factory settings what does make you think it's infected?
It's so unlikely.

HJT is a very outdated tool and not compatible with newer Windows versions and with 64-bit systems. That's why you see number of missing files/services.

I suggest new topic at Windows forum.

I think I explained badly. I did not reset to factory, I did a windows refresh. Refreshing windows keeps all of the data on the computer, but essentially moves the windows folder, and does a fresh install of windows. I guess I'm just being paranoid. Thanks for your time.

In that case since you've been to this forum before you know the drill.

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running any tools, fixes or applying any changes to your computer other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Back