Laptop to DVD HD Recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartin

Hello,
I have the following matter - I wish to connect my laptop to DVD HD recorder so as to have the image form laptop screen recorded on the DVD hard drive.
the laptop I have has HDMI but not S-video. Sony TV has multiple HDMI but doesn't have any a/v output. Sony DVD recorder has HDMI too, but there's no connection between my laptop's HDMI and DVD recorder's HDMI.
is there any other way to connect my laptop to DVD recorder?
thank you in advance for a valuable advice and all the possible solutions

What exactly (model, etc) is this device you're trying to record with? I have a feeling you cannot do what you're trying, but I'd be curious to do a little poking around to confirm that. Also, what resolution video (your laptop res I guess) are you trying to capture? You also called it a DVD HD recorder - did you mean HD DVD recorder? Standard DVDs are not HD unless you just slap some HD encoded files on there and use a special decoder for playback. If they are standard HD-DVD encoded files using MPEG-4 or VC-1 you're looking at just a few minutes of video per 4.7 GB DVD you record onto. Is this what you're doing somehow?

Another thing you might need to consider is that HDMI is designed to make sure you're device receiving the data stream is an approved device so you may end up facing additional hurdles if your discription is accurate.

I am trying to connect my laptop - HP Pavilion dv7 to Sony 160GB HD DVD Recorder (RDRHX780) to capture/record a picture that is on the laptop screen - the same like recording the picture of TV, but instead of TV I wish to have my laptop connected to DVD recorder.

certainly a software could do the job more efficiently. some of them are not free though, but you could always try it first before purchase.

If you're just trying to make a recording of your desktop and save it as a file you can use something like http://www.fraps.com/ . After looking at the specs on the device you're trying to record with I've noticed that it only supports:
Composite Video
S-Video
Audio Input (L/R)
i.LINK(DV) Input
for inputs. Your HDMI port on that device is for upscaled output only. I don't believe you can do what you're wanting with that device, but as mentioned earlier you can capture your screen with a piece of software and perhaps transcode it afterward for whatever medium you want to put it on. Just be aware that DVD resolution isn't going to come close to your monitor's resolution so don't expect a clear/clean result after your transcode.

thank you for your reply. is there any possible way to add any of those ports to my laptop externally?

What I was sort of getting at is that those are low resolution inputs on that device except the i.LINK one, but chances are you cannot output your display over firewire on that laptop. I really think your best bet is going to be capturing with something like Fraps, but you may possibly have an S-Video output on your laptop that you can connect to the device and record some low resolution/quality video.

What I was sort of getting at is that those are low resolution inputs on that device except the i.LINK one, but chances are you cannot output your display over firewire on that laptop. I really think your best bet is going to be capturing with something like Fraps, but you may possibly have an S-Video output on your laptop that you can connect to the device and record some low resolution/quality video.

thank you for your reply. unfortunately my laptop doesn't have either i-link or s-video. is there any way to have an external one?
also, my Sony Bravia TV doesn't have any a/v outputs - is there any adapter or something that can add outputs to my TV?

i actually have tried the hypercam and fraps. both of them can record full-screen. however the fraps only record when there's a fullscreen game / video taking place. so in normal desktop you cannot record using fraps...

note that both of them currently record your desktop in uncompressed avi movies which will take lots of HDD space. you can always convert them to smaller size again, later.

thank you for your reply. I tried BSR Screen Recorder. it records full screen, but I don't like the sound recording of that program - it records through built-in computer microphone and the sound really muffled let alone recording all outside sounds...

You can capture the desktop just fine with Fraps.

See

Sorry about all the stuff you see in that video - I'm working on my daughter's computer while I make this.

thank you for your reply. I tried BSR Screen Recorder. it records full screen, but I don't like the sound recording of that program - it records through built-in computer microphone and the sound really muffled let alone recording all outside sounds...

well, you can set the input to "stereo mix". if you're using vista you may have to enable it since it's disabled by default. or use alternative programs which let you to.

more list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_screencasting_software

You can capture the desktop just fine with Fraps.

See

Sorry about all the stuff you see in that video - I'm working on my daughter's computer while I make this.

edit: thanks for reminding me. i have to enable the "monitor desktop" option to enable desktop recording. fraps is a good software because it doesn't rely on stereo mix. so i can still record sound even though i am using USB speakers (which technically bypasses soundcard's stereo mix).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back