Laptop video card upgrade possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minus

Hello,

I have recently been given a new Gateway MT8640 laptop as a high school graduation gift for college (I couldn't have asked for better), and I was wondering if it would be at all possible to upgrade the video card for gaming purposes. I looked at the device manager and managed to find the following information under Display Adapters:

Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family

I have been told that this is an on-board card. Is this true? If this is the case, would it be at all possible to replace this card? If not on-board, is it still a possibility? Where can I get such a card compatible with this laptop? Does anyone know of any?

If this is not a possibility, then that will be fine as well. If it is, even better.

Thanks in advance,
Minus

Laptops for the most part are difficult if not impossible to upgrade video. 9 chances are how you get it is how it will be until you get another one. If it's integrated video and no dedicated card very unlikely you can do.

kpo6969 said:
Laptops for the most part are difficult if not impossible to upgrade video. 9 chances are how you get it is how it will be until you get another one. If it's integrated video and no dedicated card very unlikely you can do.

How can I find out if it is possible in my case? Preferably without going to the Geek Squad at Best Buy because I resent that place... They charge you money for even considering a problem. And it's not a nominal fee either.

How can I know for certain I am unable to do this?

so i bought a game yesterday.. and found that the card was not good enough to support the game.. found your post and relized that i have the exact same integrated thing you got.. if ya find a fix for it id love to hear about it..

~SEJJIE~

neither of u will be able upgrade that video,as it is built on the board and in a laptop like that one there is no place to put a better video card.

there isnt anythin i could stick in my express or pc card slots? nothin like that could increase my graphics capabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back