Laptop without a physical hard drive

hamboneski

Hi folks, I know nothing, as far as tech, so I wanted to ask if I can make a 1TB external USB drive my main drive on an HP laptop that doesn't have a hard drive but just 32GB of storage, something similar to storage you get on an iPad or tablet, I'm assuming it's just a chip. I bought the laptop inexpensively directly from HP, I think they call them point of sale, really cheap units, I guess you throw away when done with it. There are no access panels on the laptop, it looks like it's all sealed. So, what do you think? Can you help?

Can you cite the HP model number? Have you attempted to boot it at all yet?

POS (point of sale) systems 'usually' have the system in the firmware and have a design similar to most AIO (all in one) systems.

Can you cite the HP model number? Have you attempted to boot it at all yet?

POS (point of sale) systems 'usually' have the system in the firmware and have a design similar to most AIO (all in one) systems.

Thanks for responding jobeard, model # 14z-CM000. Like I said, I’m not that schooled in computer lingo, so if you could be so kind as to explain what you mean by booting the computer? Obviously I haven’t booted it......haha. Don’t know what firmware is either, so if you can tolerate my ignorance I would appreciate it. ?

Thanks for responding jobeard, model # 14z-CM000. Like I said, I’m not that schooled in computer lingo, so if you could be so kind as to explain what you mean by booting the computer? Obviously I haven’t booted it......haha. Don’t know what firmware is either, so if you can tolerate my ignorance I would appreciate it. ?

My concern is that I’m running out of storage, I have 2GB Of open storage left, so I need to do something soon.

First thing to do is remove temp files:

click the start button and under/near it is a search box, enter CLEANMGR and hit enter
it will discard junk files created while browsing online

Boot: verb, to begin system startup. When completed, the system is running and ready for you to use.

Hi jobeard, yes I’ve used the cleanmgr, or disk clean up on a regular basis. I even have a clean up app which cleans up the temp files. I hardly have anything downloaded on the laptop, just a few apps and some ebooks. So, I’m thinking it could be the updates from Microsoft that is taking up all my storage. As far as booting, I shut the laptop down after daily use and then boot back up. I don’t leave it in sleep mode. Anything else we can do?

Login as the Admin or Runas /user:administrator CMD

then type Cleanmgr under that account and it will clear out all the MS update junk

Hi jobeard, I wasn’t able to use the user admin command, but I was able to clear out some temp files by running command, temp, %temp%, and preflection, and that cleared up a GB of storage. It seems the disk clean up automatically clears out old update files, when it was cycling, old update files was listed as being cleaned. Anything else? I’m still low on storage.

Need to get the ADMINISTRATOR account active

Hold the Windows Key while pressing “R” to bring up the Windows Run dialog box.
  1. Type “lusrmgr.msc“, then press “Enter“.
  2. Open “Users“.
  3. Select “Administrator“.
  4. Uncheck or check “Account is disabled” as desired.
  5. Select “OK“.

IMMEDIATELY set a new password for it too

Now go back to running Cleanmgr in the account

Need to get the ADMINISTRATOR account active

Hold the Windows Key while pressing “R” to bring up the Windows Run dialog box.
  1. Type “lusrmgr.msc“, then press “Enter“.
  2. Open “Users“.
  3. Select “Administrator“.
  4. Uncheck or check “Account is disabled” as desired.
  5. Select “OK“.

IMMEDIATELY set a new password for it too

Now go back to running Cleanmgr in the account

hi jobeard, just want to thank you for your patients. it seems I'm already the administrator. so, there were no changes to be made as far as users. and when I run cleanmgr disk clean up pops up, and I've already done that. don't know what to do at this point, any suggestions? I'm attaching a screenshot.

When it runs, Does it have the button "clean up system files"? Use it OR login in as Administrator -- it performs differently

Hi jobeard, sorry I got distracted with other things. Anyway, yes, it does have a button for clean up system files, and I’m listed as the Admin.

Another question, if I were to buy an external usb hard drive, would I be able to load windows 10 onto the external drive and have everything go through the external drive? Are you familiar with anything like this?

That's not going to work. You can put your personal files on the external drive, but if everything is on it, HOW DOES THE SYSTEM GET BOOTED? This is a catch 22 -- you need something to access to the external drive so you can boot the OS!

Ok. I’m trying to explore all my options. I think I’m at the end of the exploration. I’m going to try and trade it in for a unit with a hard drive. Thanks, appreciate your help.

Back