Laserjet 2840 on 32-bit XP Printserver - Access from Win 7 64-bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage1701

I blundered into this one other time with Visat 64, but can't remember how to do it with Win 7 64-bit.

I have a small laptop acting as a printserver for a Laserjet 2840. It is running 32-bit XP SP3.

I need to install drivers for in on my Win 7 64-bit computer, but no matter which driver I specify, it says it's the wrong one. It can "see" the shared printer just fine, but can't install the driver I need.

How can I fix this?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks.

win 7 doesn't play well with other network computers running a different flavor OS. I tried a similar set up with my desktop running XP and my laptop with win7. It couldn't see the printer either.

ultimately I had to put xp back on the laptop. I had graphics drivers issues as well (namely there weren't any).

Since my 2840 has an ethernet port, I plugged that in. Win 7 instantly prints to it on the network. I can still print to the laptop server connected to it via USB from my other XP & Vista computers. I'll probably just end up using the ethernet port. It gave me problems at first a couple of years ago and I never went back to it. Probably time to re-think it, since I've done a firmware upgrade since then but have been too lazy to go back to ethernet.

Thanks for the reply.

You need to install 64-bit drivers on your 32-bit OS. I remember I've done this couple of times on Win 2003 Server (x86) ....... you need to have 64-Bit Windows XP; and install laserjet drivers from printer folder located inside i386 folder on that CD ...... once you've done that you can share/add this printer to any 64-Bit OS. Goodluck

One more thing, you can also download 64 bit drivers for your OS from manufacturer's site and take that route as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back