Last resort. I need help and no one seems to know where to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here we go. Its gonna be a long post so please bare with me and ill supply as much detail as i can.

Please add some input on any ideas or thoughts, because this is a last resort that no other forum has been able to resolve.

The problem im having is with Battlefield 1942 crashing when i join online servers. PLEASE DONT DISRIGARD THIS AS A SIMPLE GAMING NEWBIE ERROR.

This is where is gets interesting. (system stats are listed at bottom of the post).

I get this crash only when i join online servers, which means i can create and join local servers without a hastle. When it crashes i get a blue screen, but not a normal blue screen of death, its just blue with no text readouts. Once this screen is up for about 3 seconds my machine reboots. When i log in i get the usual windows has fouled up and do u wanna send a error report. When i send an error report the reply is, "A device driver installed on your system caused the problem, but we cannot determine the precise cause".

Ok i thought obviously i have a crashing device or device driver. So i checked and downloaded all the latest drivers for my motherboard, graphics card and onboard sound. Didnt fix the problem. So i proceeded to change the graphics card to a geforce fx5200 after i uninstalled all ati drivers. I then installed latest nvidia drivers, and this didnt fix the problem. i then disabled my onboard sound in bios, and disabled sound in the game, but it was still crashing just the same.

The questions i ask my self is

Why does it crash only when i join an online server. (what is it that online servers require my machine to do that any other game variant doesnt.)?

Is there some software out there that can track all processes that my machine does that can retain its information after a uncontrolled reboot.

It looked like a graphics card problem but a change of card didnt fix the problem, and it only happens on online servers.

i appreciate your patience and time. I look forward to reading your input.

Regards

Chris

AMD64 3200
1 gig ram
ATI 9600xt saphire
GA-K8NNXP gigabyte Motherboard
Win xp with all patches and updates

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Right click my computer, select properties, then the advanced tab, and then under startup and recovery, click on settings, and uncheck the box that says automatically restart.

Also set the write debugging information to none.

Now instead of your computer rebooting when it crashes you should receive an error message(BSOD). Look to see if any driver(s) are identified in the stop error.

If you are on an ethernet connection then I would suggest that you uninstall then reinstall the drivers.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks Howard

Yeah i have already unchecked the restart automatically box but it still reboots. Its like its a visual crash or something more than a windows crash with the blue screen of death.

I have updated all network card drivers (both are onboard) with the latest possible from the gigabyte website.

STILL NEED HELP!!! ANYONE!!!!

Have you checked for virii spyware adware etc?

Just in case it`s the above that`s causing the problem, take a look at this thread by RBS. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic17297.html

Regards Howard
santa2.gif

Thanks again howard

but yes i have done that ... and unfortunatley no cigar :(.

The thing is that something must be in the game for online use that triggers this fault. it works fine any other time so im guessing there is a process that the game does with online servers that makes my pc crash.

If you can disable the onboard LAN, stick an ordinary $10.- PCI-NIC in it, configure it properly and go online. Bet it will work fine. You have this Marvel (I think is the name) dual LAN stuff on your mobo? That is notorious for crashing.
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back