Latest Grand Theft Auto V PC patch seriously hurts performance

Scorpus

Staff member

When Grand Theft Auto V first launched on PC, fans that had waited patiently for months were greeted with a visually stunning game that ran surprisingly well on a wide range of hardware. Unfortunately, the game's good performance hasn't continued after the latest patch.

According to a range of gamers on Reddit and the Steam Community (as first reported by PC Gamer), the latest patch for Grand Theft Auto V, version 1.28, has seriously degraded the performance of the game. Many users are reporting frame rate reductions and micro-stuttering after applying the patch; issues which Rockstar Games are currently looking in to.

It's not currently known what is causing the performance issues in GTA V, although some users have speculated that Rockstar's increased anti-cheating and anti-modding measures have had an impact on performance. This doesn't seem to fully explain the issues, though, as people playing the game without mods are still reporting serious issues with performance.

The issues gamers are currently facing with GTA V are especially disappointing considering the long delay between the game's launch on consoles and PC. It seemed that Rockstar had fixed most performance problems by delaying the game until April this year, but unfortunately quality control on subsequent patches hasn't been up to scratch.

To resolve the performance issues, some users have downgraded their version of GTA V by reinstalling the game and only applying patches up to version 1.27. However this is tricky to achieve for users who own the game through Steam, and downgrading the game prevents users from accessing GTA V's online features.

Hopefully Rockstar Games can resolve the issues with Grand Theft Auto V through a new patch as quickly as possible.

Permalink to story.

My copy must have bugged out and I missed 75% of mission flow. Beautifully crafted, yet empty world with a script written by a 12 year old, who never seen bulk of todays popculture cause parent forbid him. GTAs regular joyful play on popcultural references replaced by biblical parable on friendship, family and honor. Lack of interesting or gratifying sidemissions. Wasted potential on real estate purchases that could introduce some interesting sidemission exploration and cash inflow (really, fly and drive 25 nearly identical missions to get just return on an airfield?), wasted potential on three character design, where each one could unknowingly take job from different parties and attack competition of Chinese, Aztecas, Cartels, FIB, whatever, adding job to anothers' characters. After two years of porting to PC, gamebreaking bugs, bugs and more bugs. Game that was suppose to improve on a flawed gem of GTA4 turned out to be even bigger disaster. Trevor hardly saves it. How this turned out to be so highly prized on Metacritics and sold 50 mln copies is beyond me.

Today's youth are a spoiled mess.
How this turned out to be so highly prized on Metacritics and sold 50 mln copies is beyond me.
Metacritic is based off popularity and entertainment value, not execution or quality.

My copy must have bugged out and I missed 75% of mission flow. Beautifully crafted, yet empty world with a script written by a 12 year old, who never seen bulk of todays popculture cause parent forbid him. GTAs regular joyful play on popcultural references replaced by biblical parable on friendship, family and honor. Lack of interesting or gratifying sidemissions. Wasted potential on real estate purchases that could introduce some interesting sidemission exploration and cash inflow (really, fly and drive 25 nearly identical missions to get just return on an airfield?), wasted potential on three character design, where each one could unknowingly take job from different parties and attack competition of Chinese, Aztecas, Cartels, FIB, whatever, adding job to anothers' characters. After two years of porting to PC, gamebreaking bugs, bugs and more bugs. Game that was suppose to improve on a flawed gem of GTA4 turned out to be even bigger disaster. Trevor hardly saves it. How this turned out to be so highly prized on Metacritics and sold 50 mln copies is beyond me.
What in the world are you talking about...

I loved the game, was great, worth its money however they could have done more. There are development studios with lower budget and teams and do more in terms of content (story, missions, features). Sure we can play golf and take our dog to walk but still...

Still, as a sucker Il buy into any future DLCs regardless #fanboy.

I'm a complete #fanboy for the GTA series -- they are remarkable games in so many ways that I'll forgive Rockstar almost anything. :)

Think noel is saying its a bit crap and I have to agree that it's not as good as I was expecting.
As for the latest patch affecting performance, I updated it and I noticed it was a little less stuttery than it was previously. I'm on amd crossfired cards though.

Bought it on xbox 360 then again on Xbox One. Amount of content and free updates is quite amazing but this quality control for the PC is a bit of shame. Hopefully get it fixed fast (before I buy it on PC in the winter steam sale for some insane reason)

Because you're wring and the issues are present in single player as well. Not that it should matter.

This has to do with some sort of real time protocol, probably (as suggested in the article) an anti-cheat measure. The part the article missed is that this is directly related to your Internet connection. Pull your line or disconnect your wifi connection and magically all the performance issues immediately disappear (sans a single hiccup when tje game tries to reestablish with the R* social club).

Go ahread, give it a try. Playbuntil you get the slowdown, pause the game, yank your intrawebs, and see what happens.

Severe stutters in multiplayer AS WELL AS singleplayer. I was just playing, and in a police chase I was experiencing extreme stutters which I had never seen in this game before. I have a Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 and i7 4790K. I had been enjoying this game at max settings and smooth buttery 60 fps without a hint of problem until this latest patch that broke it.

Back