Latest Windows 10 update is breaking the Alt-Tab tool for some users

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: At this point, it would be unusual if a Windows 10 update didn’t bork a feature or two for some users. The severity of the problems vary, but the latest bug introduced by Microsoft is certainly an annoying one: it breaks the Alt-Tab function.

Windows Latest reports that some people who downloaded Windows 10’s July 2021 preview (KB5004296) and the August 2021 update (KB5005033) are finding their ability to use the helpful Alt-Tab feature has disappeared.

Alt-Tab, as we all know, allows users to jump between open apps and windows by holding down the Alt key and selecting one with Tab. Releasing Alt then switches to the highlighted screen. Most people use the function daily, and it's especially helpful if a program or game crashes.

Sadly for some of those who installed the updates in question, Alt-Tab is no longer working. One user wrote that using it to switch games while in full-screen mode brought a black screen, and they were unable to return to the game.

“Furthermore, Windows 10 under this update sometimes Alt-Tabs out of the fullscreen game immediately after starting up the game from Steam. Basically, the fullscreen game now starts up minimized on my taskbar. If I try to click the game to go to its fullscreen mode, Win10 immediately alt-tabs from the fullscreen and I’m back to square one,” another user wrote.

There are ways to fix the issue. The first is the usual method of uninstalling the updates, but there is an easier solution: it appears the problem is somehow related to the ‘News and Interests’ feed. Simply turn off this feature by right-clicking anywhere on the taskbar, go to the ‘News and Interests’ menu, and select ‘Turn off.’ The widget will disappear—not that many will miss it—and Alt-Tab should be working again.

Permalink to story.

Dont worry, with MS's quality patches I'm SURE their TPM 2.0 requirement wont blow up after an update and wipe your hard drive or anything.....

This is why fluff like News & Interests should not be part of the core operating system. And having it break Alt-Tab is a perfect small example of why I feel Windows is headed in the wrong direction.

It's probably a pipe dream, but I hope Valve's Steam Deck does enough volume to generate enough game developer attention such that I no longer feel I need Windows to run my games on (which is the last and only reason it is still my daily driver.)

Not just this..but also system proces is always taking 30% cpu while idle..I have sound problems...or surround is not working (from razer) fps drops and many many more...since this fu0...cking last update my pc is ruined !!! Thanks to microsoft who I wish they will encounter a nuclear bomb in their entire company ! I m sick because of them !!!! They are destroying us on our money..and sooner or later they will pay very expensive for everything they done to us in the last years !!

I have no idea what any of you guys are doing but I've had no issues at all with anything update related.
I have sound problems...or surround is not working (from razer)
As for you, I'd try uninstalling any custom audio drivers and get back to the basics. I know that this may be taking away any custom hardware related features, but I've often found that third-party drivers are the source of a lot of issues, especially audio drivers. Nahimic is one such driver that caused my brother's system all kinds of audio issues. Once removed everything worked fine.

Haven't updated my windows 10 since it came out. Can't use Windows store but it's better than spending 5mins updating then another 3 hours trying to figure out why apps and functions are broken and then reverting the update. Everything works, don't remember the last time my pc crashed. People will say it's unsecure but if you update your antivirus there's no problem.

Haven't updated my windows 10 since it came out. Can't use Windows store but it's better than spending 5mins updating then another 3 hours trying to figure out why apps and functions are broken and then reverting the update. Everything works, don't remember the last time my pc crashed. People will say it's unsecure but if you update your antivirus there's no problem.
Been running Enterprise version with zero updates for 4 years with no problems at all. As said keep antivirus current, run an alternate firewall because of course defender and windows firewall rely on windows update and your good to go. Oh and of course your running windows in full privacy lockdown mode cause we're all techies right.

In all honesty, Windows update hasn't broken anything in my Windows 7 systems for well over 5 years. (Not that it ever did).

Back