Lawsuit alleges Nest thermostats incorrectly measure temperatures, fail to save energy as advertised

Shawn Knight

Staff member

nest thermostat class-action lawsuit

Smart thermostat maker Nest has been hit with a lawsuit from a Maryland man claiming the product is defective and users do not experience the advertised energy savings.

According to plaintiff Justin Darissee, the base and faceplate heat up during operation which causes the device to incorrectly read the ambient temperature as being anywhere from two to 10 degrees higher than it actually is. This prevents the thermostat from working correctly and resulted in him receiving a higher energy bill.

The suit, which is seeking class-action status, claims the device is “aesthetically cool like an iPod” but ultimately fails at even the most basic function of a thermostat: accurately gauging and controlling temperature.

Darissee is seeking more than $5 million on behalf of other Nest owners over violation of consumer protection laws and warranty violation. The suit points to other disgruntled users that have taken to online message boards to voice their concerns over similar behavior.

The Nest thermostat first hit market in 2011 and has won multiple awards from those in the media. The device was followed by the Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide detector in October 2013.

A $5 million judgment would hardly be a drop in the bucket for parent company Google as they spent $3.2 billion to acquire the company earlier this year. What it would do, however, is damage the company’s reputation.

The full complaint can be found on Scribd if you want to dig deeper.

Permalink to story.

I will be accepting 5million on behalf of the other users having this issue.

Fight the power!

I guess I would have to see what they are talking about in all seriousness, it can't be that bad unless he got a very poor one.

I know it's meant to serve a purpose but I would probably still get one, they look awesome! With it being owned by Google I would be worried however that it would project advertising around my home as I walked around.

The suit, which is seeking class-action status, claims the device is “aesthetically cool like an iPod” but ultimately fails at even the most basic function of a thermostat: accurately gauging and controlling temperature.
damn 'cool' apple products influencing consumers buying non-apple items! :)

Darissee is seeking more than $5 million on behalf of other Nest owners over violation of consumer protection laws and warranty violation.
...santa's little helper. :)
although if it's a warranty violation, he can return the product for refund, replacement or repair, depending on warranty terms.

I never saw what was so cool about these, my house's ventilation system already has an thermostat with an LCD that regulates the temperature.

I dont really see how this could save power to the extent they are advertising. Good people are taking legal action against the false advertising.

Last edited:
I will be accepting 5million on behalf of the other users having this issue.
Ha, funny, but it's a class action lawsuit, so everyone who owns a Nest (and registered it) will get a letter in the mail telling them they can like $50 if they respond to the letter. The only ones who make a decent payday are the lawyers (surprise!).

According to plaintiff Justin Darissee, the base and faceplate heat up during operation which causes the device to incorrectly read the ambient temperature as being anywhere from two to 10 degrees higher than it actually is.
Maybe it's just me, but I think this is hilarious. It's like they skipped the testing of this product, which isn't really surprising considering what the CEO of Nest said about his products. He said in WIRED that he wants the purchase of a Nest smoke alarm or thermostat to be an 'emotional purchase'. Well... much like how some criticize Apple products, they score high on making you feel important and cool for buying them, but they fall short on value and function.

Yep, these things are a total marketing gimmick. They do look awesome, but I would never buy one. I mean how often are you having a party and hanging out near the thermostat so everyone can see how cool it is. LOL, usually people are in the kitchen or near the keg. :)

I dont really see how this could save power. Good people are taking legal action against the false advertising.
You dont see how something that automatically manages your AC system and disables/enables it automatically could save power? are you kidding?

You dont see how something that automatically manages your AC system and disables/enables it automatically could save power? are you kidding?
I meant to the extent they are advertising. Wrong use of words. Sheesh you really like making people feel bad.

It is very specific in it's use. It would save me nothing. The only way I can see how this thing might save you 3 cents is if there are large spans of time in which no one is home. Or in which the occupants don't mind sitting in a hot house. That is only the case with specific segments of the population. At least where I live. And in that case, why not just turn it off on the way out or set the temp high. I mean really.....

The reason why it saves energy is because most thermostats have a terrible UI and most people cannot program it properly. The nest thermostat makes it much easier, therefore energy can be saved. Make sense?

Yay, the ambulance chasers find another potential cash cow. Everyone should be outraged by this BS. You reap what you sow people.

Last time I checked thermostats already do this.
I was going to initially respond to your post but decided against it, but...
just because YOU have a special thermostat doesnt mean the rest of the world does. Ive been in ONE house that didnt have a generic thermostat.

Ha, funny, but it's a class action lawsuit, so everyone who owns a Nest (and registered it) will get a letter in the mail telling them they can like $50 if they respond to the letter. The only ones who make a decent payday are the lawyers (surprise!).

I know, I was just making a bad joke :p

Wait, so a super-expensive thermostat uses an in-built thermostat sensor?? Not an infrared beam that can measure further away from the unit?

I have a similar device and it saves me HUGE amounts of money by allowing me to have a complex schedule that I can set from my phone. I can also change the settings from work or wherever if I forget (like to see someone do that with a generic thermostat). Mine happens to be a Honeywell, but the concept is the same.

These devices also allow you to program them to respond to the weather forecasts and what not. This _is not_ just a thermostat.

The "user interface" on every thermostat I've used in the last 20 years was pretty simple. High setting and low setting. Maybe you tinker with it twice a year. Oh, and the nest at least originally was selling for $250 - would take years to pay back even if it worked. Looks cool though. That's what's important, right?

Back