Leaving Pc On All day reduces Performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EsTeBaNo

I Heard that if you leave Your pc all day On, (For example downloaders) It will slowly reduce your Pc Life and Performance, Is that true?
Thanks!
Oh and sorry, i didnt knew where to post this thread... is this the right place?

I have heard the oppiste; that it is good to leave your p.c on, and limit the number of times you shut it down. But like anything, im sure consistant use probably will eventually slow its life down, but by the time it takes any effect, the comp will probably be out of date.

EsTeBaNo said:
I Heard that if you leave Your pc all day On, (For example downloaders) It will slowly reduce your Pc Life and Performance, Is that true?
Thanks!
Oh and sorry, i didnt knew where to post this thread... is this the right place?

Hi friend ! I believe shutting down the computer after use is best. If you are downloading something after it completes we should always restart the computer so that changes can take effect. Then we can shut it down.

I've heard from a couple shows on TV that leaving your PC on (if its in stable condition to be left on. IE no overheating problems and the likes) is better for it and your electric bill as a whole.

Edit: Unless its undergone a large ammount of usage during the time its been running. For instance gaming and the likes. Over time the CPU will slow down some from the prolonged usage of higher end programs/data transfer. restarting fixes this.

shutting it down is a good idea but not necessary...

leaving it on when its not doing anything (assuming you wont be turning it back on right away) isnt going to help your electricity bill...only make it higher

It's a good idea to leave your computer on for extended periods, not turning it off and on many times a day. Long enough for the electronics to heat properly. Then if you want to shut it down over night it will be ok to do so. Quality power supplies "like" to be on most of the time. My Antec Smartpower 350Watt power supply is on from 8 in the morning to midnight or beyond. It is shut down daily though. This system just went through an upgrade. The motherboard and CPU are new. The power supply is about 1.5 years old. It powers 6 IDE devices too. Powering up or restarting seems to "reset" Windows into a "fresh" state as Eichenkatze has mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back