Left 4 Dead 2 'The Passing' DLC delayed, priced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Originally slated for a late March release, Valve's upcoming "The Passing" DLC for Left 4 Dead 2 has been delayed to a new "Spring" release period. The add-on brings three of the original game's survivors down south for a meeting with the Left 4 Dead 2 cast, while delivering new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay.

No official reason was given for the delay, but the news at least came alongside pricing details for the Xbox 360 version -- The Passing will cost 560 Microsoft Points ($7) on Microsoft's console, the same as the Left 4 Dead 'Crash Course' DLC, while presumably remaining free on PC. Other new details include players able to wield the new golf club melee weapon or M60 machine gun, and encounter two new enemies: a "Bride" version of The Witch and a Molotov cocktail sporting zombie known as the Fallen Survivor.

Permalink to story.

Indeed! Let's hear it for Microsoft and their intense greed, which forces game publishers to charge for DLCs on the 360 so MS can get their pound of flesh! heh

Guess that's one way to keep PC gaming ahead of the curve!

PC gaming is sweet. But it's not without it's flaws. I bought L4D2 on PC last week. I spent three days exchanging emails with tech support just to get the game playing on my computer. And my computer is very powerful. This would not have happened on an xbox.

The only people who got the RROD were retards who decided the best place for their xbox was under their couch with pillows surrounding its fans to keep it comfy.

seefizzle said:
PC gaming is sweet. But it's not without it's flaws. I bought L4D2 on PC last week. I spent three days exchanging emails with tech support just to get the game playing on my computer. And my computer is very powerful. This would not have happened on an xbox.

0o? What was the problem? L4D2 is a hardware friendly game like all Valve games so strange that you had issues.

But ya I don't find this to be a surprise as this isn't the first time they've delayed a release.

Relic said:
seefizzle said:

0o? What was the problem? L4D2 is a hardware friendly game like all Valve games so strange that you had issues.

But ya I don't find this to be a surprise as this isn't the first time they've delayed a release.

A forced screen resolution problem. The game would load, but I couldn't see anything. Got it fixed though. But problems like these do not exist whatsoever on an xbox.

Also, I have had two separate 360's RROD on me. One for overheating, the other for the GPU burning out. They want 100 bucks to fix the one, and I never sent the other one in. I just built a gaming PC instead.

I like PC gaming, don't get me wrong, but there is definitely some stuff I miss about my 360.

Sorry to hear but happy you got it resolved :) .

seefizzle said:
But problems like these do not exist whatsoever on an xbox.

You're right, problems like that don't exist nor should they on a closed proprietary console. But for me at least the pros of PC gaming far outweigh the few cons compared to console gaming :) .

PC does have it's flaws, but once you get it on the experience you get on the PC take a big poop on the experience you get on xbox. Including better graphics, online play and cheaper price.

While I will agree that PC gaming is great, it is an expensive hobby to maintain. My pc bought last year will not run l4d2, whereas the 360 I bought 3 years ago runs every game as it launches. I don't have to worry about whether or not a game that I bought will run. You can bash pc'ers or console gamers all day, all that really matters is what works for the individual. Free dlc, ok great, but what did that bleeding edge pc cost you? And never forget that even though it has a cost, the Live online system is unparalleled at matching gamers with other gamers, with full voice support, usually (looking at you EA) without hassle. I have met dozens of people on one game and found out that we have a lot of other game interests in common and have found great friends through this system.

,,,Concerning the XBox-360 DLC stall.

This really sucks. Concerdering they couldn't even produce a release date, and had us all wondering like *****s about the dlc and when it's comming out.... The only new features are a crumby golf clubm, and whoppie... a M-60. Big deal. L4D is an awesome game, but if the;re going to stall this installment any longer, they had better put some more interesting, and unique content and new features into the game..... I mean, then why are we all waiting for this?

Guest said:
,,,Concerning the XBox-360 DLC stall.

This really sucks. Concerdering they couldn't even produce a release date, and had us all wondering like *****s about the dlc and when it's comming out.... The only new features are a crumby golf clubm, and whoppie... a M-60. Big deal. L4D is an awesome game, but if the;re going to stall this installment any longer, they had better put some more interesting, and unique content and new features into the game..... I mean, then why are we all waiting for this?

You know, some people are just never happy. Or research what they're complaining about.

You wouldn't have any problems running L4D2 on your pc you bought last year it was it a BESTBUY POS!

My socket 939 AMD opteron with an Asus 3870 runs L4D2 and how old is that system. Stick to consoles computers aren't for you!

A forced screen resolution problem. The game would load, but I couldn't see anything. Got it fixed though. But problems like these do not exist whatsoever on an xbox.

Also, I have had two separate 360's RROD on me. One for overheating, the other for the GPU burning out. They want 100 bucks to fix the one, and I never sent the other one in. I just built a gaming PC instead.

I like PC gaming, don't get me wrong, but there is definitely some stuff I miss about my 360.

Since i've never heard of this issue before i'm curious to know what the fix was.

Guest said:
While I will agree that PC gaming is great, it is an expensive hobby to maintain. My pc bought last year will not run l4d2, whereas the 360 I bought 3 years ago runs every game as it launches. I don't have to worry about whether or not a game that I bought will run. You can bash pc'ers or console gamers all day, all that really matters is what works for the individual. Free dlc, ok great, but what did that bleeding edge pc cost you? And never forget that even though it has a cost, the Live online system is unparalleled at matching gamers with other gamers, with full voice support, usually (looking at you EA) without hassle. I have met dozens of people on one game and found out that we have a lot of other game interests in common and have found great friends through this system.

You are presenting the same old and incorrect arguments that have been used forever.

Gaming in general is pricey as most hobbies are especially if you are not just a casual gamer who buys a couple games a year. But overall PC gamers pay LESS for gaming content then console gamers do and tend to have way more options. The greed of big publishers however are trying to change this trend forcing us to pay MORE for less. What about PC hardware like you pointed out? Well no you don't need a current top of the line gaming PC every time a new game comes out. Let's look at L4D2 requirements since that's the game in question. They include a Pentium 4/128 MB vid card as a minimum requirement, which is extremely hardware friendly that most can run. And to say Xbox Lives match making servers are superior is a bit ridiculous. You are paying for a service that is inferior to what is already available on PC's that is free. Now if the games were hosted on a dedicated server I'd understand, but they are not. And match making in general isn't the funnest of experiences. It usually takes me 3-4 bad games on Live to get one good game. Whereas I can simply jump into one of my favorite servers and be done with it on the PC.

In the end though as you said it depends what the person wants.

princeton said:
The only people who got the RROD were retards who decided the best place for their xbox was under their couch with pillows surrounding its fans to keep it comfy.

I disagree. My Xbox was well ventilated and it still gave RRoD. Newer versions of the 360 are better, but I still get the xbox live messages. ''My xbopx has the 3 lights I will be offline for a month while its fixed'' ETC ETC.

My xbox recently red-ringed too [Error 74]. Also, don't forget to include the cost for microsoft online membership into the deal as well. I think when my xbox was up and running I was paying like 30 bucks or so for the account [can't remember if it was monthly or not, but it adds up over time.]

My PC is relatively new and it runs L4D2, but I do still have some intermittent errors with it freezing on sound bites and becoming unrecoverable. The pings on the PC seem a bit unstable at times [the other day I was north of 1200!], but this could be an ISP issue. I remember from my days of playing culdcept online on the xbox, similar issues would happen mid-game were the game would just lock and players would drop automatically.

Both systems have their pros and cons, but i think overall I prefer the PC mostly just because of the WASD, mouse look and multiple configurable layouts. Plus, the modded 20 versus 20 group servers are a blast to play on for L4D2.

IMHO the consoles are unbeatable for games like Assasin's Creed, Demon Souls, etc, but for first person shooters like L4D2 and Fallout 3 I prefer the mouse and keyboard :)

Different strokes different folks...But no need to be a hater either way. There are certain games we all want to play that just only come out for certain systems, so why hate them - just play them!

*sigh* PC gaming isn't that much more expensive. What it is, is that it requires a bit more smarts.

I passed a friend an old rig of mine, and it still runs L4D2, albeit at lower detail levels. It's using a Socket 754 Sempron and an *AGP* 7600GT. You know how ancient that thing is?

Problem of course, is that well, you need to know what to buy. I'll bet that rubbish you bought has something crappy like an OEM 3430 with some DDR2 RAM for video RAM. Not many people know that. The industry is partly at fault too, especially on the retail side. A combination of marketing (promotion) pressure and pricing pressure means that the GPU is usually the first thing to skimp on due to cost, and is compensated for a CPU with "nice" numbers. Of course it does sweet FA for games...

valve likes to rip us xbox users off by making us pay and not giving us cheats and no mapmaker. i hate that because the only reason we play on the xbox is because we have shitty no-game playing computers. i would totally play the game on pc if i could but i would have to spend like 250 dollars on upgrading it with new graphics cards and all the other stuff to go with it. **** valve. i love their games but if their going to charge us more money for a worse game they really need to **** themselves.

Wow, Steam delays the DLC...

who didn't see that coming a mile away?

Steam release dates: always a few months after the original intended date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back