Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Ultraportable Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
The X220 was just introduced this month and represents Lenovo's latest ultraportable ThinkPad. Feature highlights include a 12.5-inch 1366x768 IPS display, a solidly built thin frame and starting weight of 3 pounds, all without sacrificing on performance courtesy of Intel's new mobile processors.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/372-lenovo-thinkpad-x220/

Please leave your feedback here.

Delicious IPS panel... mmm...

I grew up on the trackpoint, having owned mostly IBM thinkpads (and one Toshiba during the downtime between two models), and I vastly prefer the trackpad, just my experience. So like my older Thinkpads the Touchpad will likely be disabled entirely if I were to get one. I have never had a device with a chiclet style keyboard so I'm not missing out on anything here either.

Good review, with a few but relatively well rounded list of tests.

Just a note, there hasn't been a think light on 12" model ever. Please check your copy.

What can I say, Lenovo makes THE best laptops and their support is also THE best. I still get driver updates on my 3 year old Lenovo !

"I would have also preferred a slightly modified layout (swapping the Fn / Ctrl keys), but I understand this ultimately boils down to preference."

Isn't there a BIOS option in all ThinkPads? If I'm right, just set that, swap the key caps, done.

TrackPoint rules!

I own an 11" MacBook Air and a 15" MacBook Pro, and Apple's touchpad is widely regarded not only as the best in the industry, but the best by a VERY large margin. The TrackPoint is even better, and has been since the late 1990s.

The X220 isn't perfect (I own one similar to the reviewed model, but with SSD), but with the touchpad disabled (Lenovo's touchpad is nowhere near Apple's) it is the absolute best writer's machine on the market.

All X series have a ThinkLight except for the X1 and perhaps the 100 series (not sure). Always have.

X2x, X3x, X4x, X6x, X2xx and X3xx have all had the ThinkLight, the proper ThinkPad keyboard (spillproof since at least the X60) and all of the other ThinkPad goodies. X220 is more of the same, which is just the way ThinkPad fans want it.

I guess the reason for them to position Fn and Ctrl is for Think Light. Did you notice that Fn is at the bottom left and the other key PgUp is on top right? Since it's probably dark when you want to turn on Think Light, it will be better if you can find these two keys a little bit easier.

Back