Lenovo unveils Vibe Z smartphone with Snapdragon 800 CPU, dual-SIM and flip cover

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Lenovo has announced a new variant of their Vibe X smartphone powered by a Qualcomm processor and a larger display. Unlike the former which uses a MediaTek MT6589T chip, the new Vibe Z features the speedy quad-core Snapdragon 800 clocked at 2.2GHz with Adreno 330 graphics and 2GB of RAM.

The phablet-era phone packs a 5.5-inch IPS LCD screen with 1080p resolution (400 PPI) and a dual-SIM card tray which could be useful for international travel. Around back is a Sony IMX135 camera with Exmor-RS sensor that shoots 13-megapixel photos using a fast f/1.8 lens.

Lenovo promises excellent low-light performance thanks to the combination of wide aperture, backside illuminated sensor and proprietary image processing algorithms. There’s also a dual-LED flash system should you need it and a respectable front-facing 5-megapixel shooter for selfies or video chatting.

Battery size hasn’t been revealed just yet although Lenovo claims the device is good for up to 278.5 hours of standby on the WCDMA + GSM model. We are also hearing there will be a CDMA2000 + GSM model for China Telecom users and an LTE + GSM variant for the overseas market.

The company also showed off a flip cover that heavily borrows from the S View Cover that Samsung recently made popular. The difference between the two, however, is that Lenovo’s option also includes a special area that you can slide to answer or decline an incoming call – pretty nifty.

The phone is expected to go up for pre-order in China soon but unfortunately, details of an international launch have not yet been disclosed.

Permalink to story.

I like it but a 5.5" screen is just too ridiculously big for a phone.

Keep in mind that a lot of people prefer larger phones like myself. With bezels being ultra slim(Samsung only so far...), my personal threshold would be anything over 6"
Yes, 0.5" in screen size is a big difference. Compare a 5" S4 to a 5.5" Note 2, or 5.7" Note 3 in person and you'll see what I mean.

Keep in mind that a lot of people prefer larger phones like myself. With bezels being ultra slim(Samsung only so far...), my personal threshold would be anything over 6"
Yes, 0.5" in screen size is a big difference. Compare a 5" S4 to a 5.5" Note 2, or 5.7" Note 3 in person and you'll see what I mean.

I know. I've seen them. Personally I don't need and even less, want a big screen phone. My 4.3" Galaxy S4 Mini is already pushing the limit for what is acceptable to me. If I ever need a bigger screen I'll just turn to my tablet which at the moment, is a white elephant.

Back