Lenovo's all-screen Z5 will launch on June 5

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Lenovo may face competition from another all-screen phone soon after the Z5 launches. Vivo’s Apex, which has a 90 percent screen-to-body ratio and popup camera, will be unveiled on June 12 in Shenzhen, China.

Earlier this month, Lenovo teased a notch-free phone with bezels so thin they resulted in a 95 percent screen-to-body ratio. Now, company VP Chang Cheng has announced that the Lenovo Z5 will launch on June 5 in Beijing. He also revealed some features of the handset that sound so incredible they’re hard to believe.

Cheng said the Lenovo Z5 would boast four technological breakthroughs that are based on 18 patented technologies, which includes that bezel-less screen. The phone will reportedly be part of the ZUK series of handsets, so it could be called the Lenovo ZUK Z5.

If releasing a phone with a 95 percent screen-to-body ratio wasn’t enough of a coup for Lenovo, Cheng has made some incredible claims about the Z5: it will feature 4TB of storage and 45 days of standby time. Cheng also said that it would give half an hour of talk time even when the battery reaches zero percent.

Those claims sound pretty unbelievable, so it could be that they’ll come with some caveats. While reports do say it’s internal storage, those four terabytes may include some form of online storage. The 45 days of standby time, meanwhile, will likely rely on an ultra power saving mode that offers only the most basic of functions.

Even if this is the case, the Lenovo Z5 still sounds like an exciting prospect. And if it does live up to Cheng’s promises, the handset could become the one that other companies imitate.

Permalink to story.

4TB of storage and 45 days of standby... sure...
what does their VP smoke again???

Last edited:
4TB of storage inside of phones isn't happening anytime soon. The flash chips would take up nearly all of the space inside the phone.

Really?Why?Like you are EVER going to use it.Besides,its just a gimmick to justify charging the customers and dividing itself from competition .
Actually, I would... my PC at home has over 40TB of storage, and it's getting full.... I have a LOT of stuff, and it would be nice to be able to have my "essentials" on my phone... Still not convinced that this will deliver, however.

Just because you don't need it, don't assume the rest of the world is as limited as you...

4TB of storage inside of phones isn't happening anytime soon. The flash chips would take up nearly all of the space inside the phone.
Maybe not. SanDisk announced a 1TB SD card 2 years ago although I think it's not yet in production. So it's conceivable that one could fit 4 of them in a phone. The problem is that those cards will likely sell for $1,000 each according to the one website I found listing it as out of stock :) 512 GB cards already exist but are over $300 each.
So 4TB of internal storage is not going to happen this year.

Really?Why?Like you are EVER going to use it.Besides,its just a gimmick to justify charging the customers and dividing itself from competition .
Actually, I would... my PC at home has over 40TB of storage, and it's getting full.... I have a LOT of stuff, and it would be nice to be able to have my "essentials" on my phone... Still not convinced that this will deliver, however.

Just because you don't need it, don't assume the rest of the world is as limited as you...
Rudeness is not appreciated .Acting like a kid in a candy shop tells enough about your "essentials" and limitations whatever TB's you cramm into any medium .

Rudeness is not appreciated .Acting like a kid in a candy shop tells enough about your "essentials" and limitations whatever TB's you cramm into any medium .
Really? I wasn't being rude... I beleive you have me confused with yourself! I was simply stating a fact... but now I'm tempted to be rude... The mere fact that 40TB is being offered should tell you that there will be people who want or *gasp* NEED it. Again, just because YOU don't need or want it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't... go troll somewhere else now...

Lenovo needs a phone that is a big seller. Their mobile phone division lost $142 million in just the first three months of 2018. This might be a "hail mary" play to get plenty of free PR in the hopes that people that can afford one, will buy one. If it comes with stock Android it might be an awfully nice device.

Back