LG wants ITC to ban Sony PlayStation 3 in the US

Emil

Staff

LG has filed a complaint against Sony with the US International Trade Commission (ITC), claiming the PlayStation 3 and Bravia line of television models infringe as many as four Blu-ray Disc patents. The South Korean company is demanding a permanent ban of the PS3 from the US market.

LG has also filed a separate lawsuit with the US District Court in the Southern District of California, which covers other, non-PS3 devices, including PCs and digital cameras. You can read the full complaint, titled "Certain Electronic Devices Having a Blu-Ray Disc Player and Components Thereof" (PDF), courtesy of ITC Blog.

LG, which boasts that it owns 90,000 patents worldwide, appears to be taking this step in retaliation for a previous Sony complaint about various LG smartphones made last December, which the ITC is already investigating. As a result, the counterattack could be simply in the name of revenge, or at least that's what some are speculating. Clearly the best way to fight a patent complaint is to file a completely unrelated one.

Permalink to story.

Whatever the reason or validity, it's nice to see Sony catching some heat in the courts, if only so it can get a taste of how stupid, unrealistic lawsuits can be a real pain in the ***. I say don't dish it out if you aren't prepared to take it.

Wow Ok i thought Sony demands on identity information and IP addresses were stupid but to demand a permanent ban of the PS3 on the US market takes the cake.

Do big company lawyers do anything besides thinking on stupid lawsuits?

People just sit at their desk and read through laws and patents just to find something to make some easy money. Silly, most companies can probably find infringements on most patents by most other companies if they look hard enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if what I said was true. lol

trillionsin said:
People just sit at their desk and read through laws and patents just to find something to make some easy money. Silly, most companies can probably find infringements on most patents by most other companies if they look hard enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if what I said was true. lol
I guess they have to appear as if they are working so these lawsuits are just fillers

just throwing this out there... lets see LG win their lawsuit. then when they have a monopoly on blu-ray players we'll see them be broken up in the US due to monopoly laws and then sony comes and wipes them out

LOL....Sony can't catch a break right now. Which is fine - they've stepped on enough toes that a little smack down couldn't hurt.

LOL....Sony can't catch a break right now. Which is fine - they've stepped on enough toes that a little smack down couldn't hurt.

QFT - As I recall LG was one of the major players in the development of the Blu-Ray standard so I wouldn't necessarily dismiss this out hand ... may have some merit. Not that they'll get all the PS3's in America banned but perhaps a little bigger piece of the BD royalties’ pie.

LG better watch out Sony will soon demand "identity information" of every LG employee which worked on the development of Blu-Ray, then LG will most likely demand that all Sony products be banned from US markets :)

This might just be the brake Sony has been looking for, easy way to solve your console being hacked left right and center. Pull it from the market, everyone wins that way... oh wait then the Xbox Fan boys will claim some stupid console war victory and that will never go away. Can't these huge monopolistic electronic companies all just get along?

Guest said:
just throwing this out there... lets see LG win their lawsuit. then when they have a monopoly on blu-ray players we'll see them be broken up in the US due to monopoly laws and then sony comes and wipes them out
probably won't happen, take a look at internet explorer for example; Internet explorer used to have a monopoly on web browsers, but all they had to do was pay a fine. you should also keep in mind that sony is not the only other company with bluray players

haha, if you read the court document, is says inside:

Quote:

"A. The '835 Patent
1. Identification of the Patent and Ownership by LGE
5.2 The'835 patent is titled "Recording Medium Having Data Structure for Managing Reproduction of Data Streams Recorded Thereon and Recording and Reproducing Methods and Apparatuses"

UnQuote

Doesn't that sound like ANY cdr/dvdr/blueray device? Covers everything ever made right?

I hate patents. I would like to patent sand and license it to all the beaches in the world.

They don't want a ban. They want licensing fees. But, you can't easily sue for that until it's determined that the patent has been violated. Hence the lawsuit asking for a ban.

Back