Life's just not enough.

olefarte

Don't steal satellite signals, that's the moral to this story. Did this guy get 5 to life in prison, the death sentence? NO, he got 30,000 years, to pay back $180 million. Read the whole store here.
TAMPA -- A man who schemed to steal satellite television signals now has something much bigger than a cable bill to pay -- a whopping $180 million restitution order on which he is to make $500 monthly payments.

A full payback would take 30,000 years.

Well, they certainly made him an example. I bet he can't even afford a good lawer to fight the 'excessive' judgement. I don't even see how that judgement could be related to real damages or justified punitive damages. If that was me I think I'd just quit my job, go on welfare, start drinking heavily and hope for an early death.

<Rant>Do you think if a company deliberately didn't deliver a service you paid for that they'd get more than a order to give back the money and a $1000 judgement? Just another example or the government siding with business over the citizen.< /end rant>.

Originally posted by Tarkus
If that was me I think I'd just quit my job, go on welfare, start drinking heavily and hope for an early death.
we havent' had one of these in a while
Concur.

Let me see... that's $6000 per year, which is about £3,600 at today's exchange rate.

Now, here is something I have said before, but I want to state again:-

Do not do computer crimes. You will be caught. There is always someone better than you out there to catch you. You will be caught, and then you will go to jail for a very long time. You may not even get a trial for a long time, because technical crimes are so hard to prosecute. When you do, you will get a Judge and Jury that hardly understand a thing about what you have done. You will get a defence lawyer that hardly understands. You will get a prosecution lawyer that will make you out to be a terrorist and a cyber-criminal. They will demonise this "new and terrifying type of crime" and will propose that the legal system make an example of you. Look at what happened to Kevin Mitnick. I doubt that anyone who posts here is cut out for Jail and I know that I certainly am not. Be warned!

Back