Limited connectivity , good signal strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a wireless connection, using a USB wireless network adapter. The other computer (main one connected directly) is fine and is connected to the internet with no problems.

However, this is the issue with the other:

Signal strength: About 4-5 bars/5

Packets: ~2

‘Windows Zero Configuration’ needs to be ‘Enabled’, EVERY TIME the computer is switched on or this problem continues and internet is unavailable. Once I enable it, it connects to the network.

If I go in to ‘Administrative Tools’, then ‘Services’ and look up ‘Windows Zero Configuration’ the startup type is ‘Automatic’.

I’ve done the sensible things like uninstalling the network adapter and reinstalling it. I have ‘disabled’ the ‘Startup type’ and then made it ‘automatic’. Stopped and started ‘service status’. Nevertheless, when I restart the computer the same problem occurs. I have got to sort this out as doing this over and over is not feasible (this is a work computer that isn’t even mine and I’m the only one who has a vague idea about computers, but nevertheless very little).

PLEASE PLEASE reply asap.

what equipment do you have between the modem and the systems? a wireless router? what is the main computer connected to?

Normally we connect to the router using the default router address as a URL
and use the browser to configure the wireless portion of the router
like: http://192.168.x.1/
You can see this address by using ipconfig /all on the main computer

Login
enable the wireless radio
set a new SSID and channel
change the Admin password
save and restart the router​

Using the Wireless Wizard, you should now see your SSID and be able to
connect to it.

ack; :(
Code:
modem---[COLOR="Red"]hub[/COLOR]---systems
Strongly suggest you swap the hub for a router. Without the router,
you will need to manage the IP configuration manually and most people
find it much easier to use DHCP feature of a router to do it for you!

jobeard said:
ack; :(
Code:
modem---[COLOR="Red"]hub[/COLOR]---systems
Strongly suggest you swap the hub for a router. Without the router,
you will need to manage the IP configuration manually and most people
find it much easier to use DHCP feature of a router to do it for you!

Hi,

Apologies in the delay in replying. I seem to be assigned with IT support even though I don't know anything.

Before doing this I tried one more time another attempt and found that when I went to Network Connections > Properties > Wireless Network > Internet Protocol > Properties and input manual details for IP (the computers IP address, subnet mask [automatically entered] and used same digits for default gateway and DNS server). Then it worked!

I believe that the problem was the computers IP address being the same as the other one, so assigned .4 to one and .2 to the other (as thought .1 may have been the hub). :)

I would love to change from a hub, but they have one and are unlikely to change this!

Thank you so much for your help. I do appreciate it and I'm sorry I did not get to try what was advised.

Before doing this I tried one more time another attempt and found that when I went to Network Connections > Properties > Wireless Network > Internet Protocol > Properties and input manual details for IP (the computers IP address, subnet mask [automatically entered] and used same digits for default gateway and DNS server). Then it worked!

so now it's working -- great :)

this is a typical issue with manually configuring the TCP interface and why we usually
opt to get the settings via DHCP.

jobeard said:
so now it's working -- great :)

this is a typical issue with manually configuring the TCP interface and why we usually
opt to get the settings via DHCP.

THANK YOU! Will do that in future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back