Linksys router keeps cutton off access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

See if anybody knows what is going on here.

I just got a new job and they have in the office a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router. It has dual antenas.

That is connected to a Quest DSL modem.

What happens is that, about 15 times a day suddenly all the wireless AND wired stations will have no Internet access. And also local networking screws up.
If you look at the wireless config on any particular PC, it will say connected to the access point, but Internet cannot be found.
However, even though it's connected to the access point, it's more like notworking instead of networking :)

Ok, so before I got here, they used to do a full reset on the router each time. But that took to long so they just unplug power and plug back in, and it will work again for who knows how long.

I got on Linksys web site and saw they have firmware version 1.00.9 available, and this is running 1.00.0 (original).
I had credit card in hand to buy a new router, but decided to do firmware instead. And that was about 5 minutes ago, so we'll see if that worked.

But my question is, does anybody know of this router having trouble staying networked and connected to a DSL modem?

Here is the page which has the version info on the firmware:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...goBlobs&blobwhere=1130830253879&ssbinary=true

If somebody reviews the updates in that list, can they tell me if any of the updates would affect this DSL connection and might fix it?
At first sign of trouble again, I'm just going to buy a new router. Any models you suggest?

Thanks

First, are your problems with the WAN or the LAN connection?

Do the clients get cut off from the router (the wireless status doesn't mean anything) or does the router drop its internet connection?

All PPPoE fixes could have fixed any issues with DSL.

I can't tell if the problem is WAN or LAN because when it happens, I can't ping the router. I can't get into the router setup even with the hard-wired systems. Of course that is LAN problems, but...

If there is a WAN problem, I can't test it because once the router is power cycled, it's fixed again. But we don't have to power cycle the modem.

So far Internet still up since my first post after firmware update.

If you can't ping the router over the wired connection, then it has obviously crashed.

Routers crash because:
they are overloaded - do you use any p2p software or suchlike?
they are buggy - you did update the firmware..
they are still buggy - you can try disabling some unneeded functions like the firewall, uPnP, DHCP
the power supply sucks - try an UPS or a different AC adapter?
the router hardware is bad - replace the router..

I don't think it's overloaded, these are just workstations with the occasional game. Instant message, etc... No downloading or heavy traffic.
However, because they kept resetting the router, there is no security, I suspected outside wireless moochers, but haven't had time to turn on security yet.

Regardless, 2 days now and it hasn't crashed with the new firmware.
This is odd because the router and DSL has worked for over a year, and got gradually worse until I got here and it was going out many times a day. Then firware fixes it all?

My guess is that the DSL company has been upgrading their system somehow, and was thus screwing with the router. And so Linksys was also putting out updates to fix PPPoE connections.

Well hopefully it stays nice. I'll post again if it goes out, and probably just replace the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back