Linksys - speed booster necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

undiscovered

I have a linksys wireless router already, but have seen linksys offer their routers with 'speedbooster', is it necessary? Will my connection be stronger?

What is more likely to effect performance is local conditions. I would only use the speedbooster if you are transmitting over a long distance or live in an old house (old walls block the signal more than newly built properties).

I've heard reports of speedbooster giving better transfer speeds but WiFi signal & distance stayed the same. I've tried the Speedboost router & NIC combination & it turns out that Sppedboost made the router overheat making you lose the connection after a few hours/days so I had to turn it off.

A draft-n router & a NIC of the same possibilities will work much better.

Speedbooster on the Linksys router isn't essential but I've found an improvement in speed.

Nothing to do with distances - Linksys sell other routers that extend the standard distances between PC & router. I must be lucky, my Linksys router rarely disconnects from all the gear that it talks to.

I believe that if you keep the router in a well ventilated area, it can function quite well with the speedbooster functions enabled. Otherwise the router gets hot & the connection quickly becomes unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back