Linux Foundation: Linux is gaining traction in the enterprise

Emil

Staff

The nonprofit Linux Foundation, in partnership with Yeoman Technology Group, has published a new report titled Linux Adoption Trends: A Survey of Enterprise End Users that shows Linux is growing at breakneck speed. According to the report, which is based on the results of an invitation-only survey with 1,948 respondents, Linux adoption continues to grow for a number of reasons, including reduced costs, technical superiority, and security measures.

The survey found that 76.4 percent of companies are planning to add more Linux servers in the next 12 months, while only 41.2 percent of respondents are planning to add Windows servers in the next year and 43.6 percent say they will be decreasing or maintaining the number of Windows servers in their organizations over the same time period. Over the next five years, Linux will outpace all other server operating systems: 79.4 percent of respondents plan on adding more Linux servers, compared to only 21.3 percent planning on adding more Windows servers in the same period. 60.2 percent of respondents reporting that they plan to use Linux for more mission-critical workloads than they have in the past.

Other key findings of the report include:

• Migrations to Linux from Windows are surpassing those from Unix, and 66 percent of users surveyed say that their Linux deployments are brand new ("greenfield") deployments.
  • Cloud adoption is surprisingly low, with only 26 percent planning on moving applications/services to the cloud in the coming 12 months. 70.3 percent are using Linux as their primary cloud platform.
  • 86.5 percent of respondents feel Linux continues to improve.
  • The perception of Linux by management has shifted, with nearly 60 percent reporting that their CIO sees Linux as more strategic to the organization as compared to three years ago.
  • These trends are leading companies to increasingly seek Linux IT professionals, with 38.3 percent of respondents citing a lack of Linux talent as one of their main concerns related to the platform.

It's important to remember that all the individuals surveyed are already using Linux, and all are from companies, organizations, and government agencies selected by The Linux Foundation and Yeoman. Nevertheless, the trend toward Linux is definitely happening in enterprise computing, but it's still difficult to truly say to what extent.

Permalink to story.

It's important to remember that all the individuals surveyed are already using Linux, and all are from companies, organizations, and government agencies selected by The Linux Foundation and Yeoman.

It's important to remember that all the individuals surveyed are already using windows, and all are from companies, organizations, and government agencies selected by The windows corporation and Microsoft

huh..

I really like the part about how Linux skewed its survey range to give them the biggest possible margin over the competition as possible. Especially as most people see an article with a graphic, look at the graphic, say "Oh wow, isn't that amazing! look at those #$%^ing results they're showing." and then move on never realizing that the results were set up to make one outcome look as favorable as possible.
People don't use Linux because it isn't user friendly and lacks a GUI that users are at all comfortable in using.

How about on cell phones? Linux is great on cell phones too, just look at Android. As for desktops, people all over the world are using Linux as a desktop OS. The server is not the only place Linux will grow.

If they are talking about PCs...fat chance. It's not user friendly and is a huge pain in the arse to do anything outside of what the OS originally gives you from the start. Once you have a problem you have to go onto these forums where you have to ask the basement dwellers how to fix a problem...It's just a huge pain and undesirable for anyone who isn't a complete nerd lol.

As for servers, Linux can be a nice option. Such as web servers, file servers, etc. For a domain server I would still go with Windows Server 2008 because at your workplace, people are going to want to work on Windows PCs because that is what they are used to, and Windows Server 2008 works best in a Windows environment in my opinion.

I just don't see this as being accurate whatsoever unless they are talking about cell phones and other portable devices.

A more appropriate title for this would be "Linux is gaining traction in enterprises that are already using Linux." It's a little misleading to say that Linux is gaining traction in enterprise, when all the individuals surveyed were already using it.

I have started running Linux on my laptop because I wanted something lighter weight for it. Also one our work stations at work that just needs to view pdf files, runs Ubuntu. It is much lighter weight than XP Pro that was on it, but still usable by almost anyone in the office, and even the contractors that come in to look at plans on it. And of course our file server is Linux based.
I can see certain distro's of Linux becoming more and more mainstream as they become much more user friendly. With Ubuntu Software center, its easier to install software at times then it is on Windows.
I wanted to print from a network printer on my laptop - went to add printer, Ubuntu auto-detected it, I selected and it auto installed the drivers and I was printing in under 5 minutes. I have never had Windows install a printer, let alone a network printer, that easily.

What they forgot to say was most of these additional Linux systems are VMware ESX servers. Hah! I'm only joking of course but i'm sure VMware is at least a small part of this scale.

the company where I work is also changing a lot of servers to Linux. Most of them just hold databases. The reason is not because Linux is better or worst. Its just cheaper and also capable. For a company with hundreds of servers, image the year costs with Microsoft licences. Linux is not free, it also has costs. But its a lot cheaper then Windows server.

The reason why systems like Linux and Max OS X don't get viruses, is because:

"Why would I make a virus for something that NOBODY USES?"

Back