Loading XP home over XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabee333

Hi,
I have just had a computer gifted to me that had a copy of XP pro.
It had all sorts of problems so I have bought a registered copy of XP home and am trying to new install this.

Firstly when i try write over pro it tells me a newer version is running etc.. .

I then tried to boot from the cd and it gets to set-up and displays the message that it cannot continue set-up because of a memory shadow cache needs disabling.I am running Award bios how do i do this?

Also when I try to boot from a boot disk it wont let me format c: as it doesnt see it as a valid drive.

Any help gratefully recieved

Roy

Welcome to Techspot.

There are a lot of Different Award Bios versions , in mine Video ,System Cache etc. settings are on the Advanced Chipset page. Just' disable ' the one yur looking for.
As for your Degrade. Windows does not like to digress the O/S and XP pro is quite an upgrade especially in the networking areas.
Anyway use a Win 98 bootdisk and delete the Partitions or at least format the existing partitions .
Then as long as the Bios can see the HDD you have , You should be able to install Home from the CD normally.

Many thanks I tried to format with the 6 XP boot discs but it didnt like it kept coming up as corrupt/missing hard drive.Will give that a go.

Roy

liquid is right. it always works. try this step by step here:
get a 98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start your pc with boot disk in the machine
after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
display partition(s) (if any)
delete partition(s)
create new partition
restart
format the hard disk type format c:
turn pc off
take win98 boot disk out