Status
Not open for further replies.

g2doo

Hi I registered here as I am in need of urgent help. After my 13year old son was on the PC he switched it off and when it restarts it stops at the log in screen where you select the user and enter the password. No matter which user we select the keyboard and mouse appear to freeze and we get no further. My doctorate thesis is on the PC and I need to be able to access it for submission. Please can anyone help??

Thanks

I followed what you said exactly and great news it worked and I have my documents. The only thing I need to deal with now is the fact that none of my usb connections including broadband appear to be working.

Any further ideas??

Many thanks

Try reinstalling your usb devices and see if that helps. That means unplug your usb devices and uninstall the drivers, then reinstall the drivers and reconnect the usb devices when prompted to do so, or after the driver installation is complete.

I take it, your usb ports are working correctly?

Regards Howard :)

followed everything but no luck.

My broadband modem should have two green lights - they stay red, I know the modem is working ok as I am using it just now on a borrowed work laptop.

My PC screen has a small window on it which titled Windows Installer and then says preparing to install but it doesn't do anything. Last night there was a server not recognised message but I do not know how I managed to get it.

On the control panel the system icon does not appear to open when I click it.

The whole system seems really slow although I am extremely grateful just to see it.

Any ideas on how I can rectify these problems?

I think your next step is probably to do a complete format and reinstall. If that doesn`t help, you may be looking at a hardware problem.

Complete format - does that mean I lose everything?

New window appeared - Install server not responding.

Any ideas?

Yes, a format would erase all your data. Obviously you should backup any important data beforehand.

The Install server not responding message means there`s a problem with the Windows installer.

I really think a format and reinstall is the best way to go here.

It`s not something I like saying, but in your case I don`t see any other way to get your system up and running properly.

Thanks Howard

I really appreciate all your help and advise.

One probably silly question to those who know, but how do I do a reinstall?

You need to do the following.

1 restart your computer and go to setup usually by pressing the F2 or delete key.

2 Once you get into setup look for the boot menu and make sure you set it to boot from cd first followed by your hard drive.

3 Put the Windows xp disk into your cd.

4 Now save your settings and exit setup.

5 While your computer is booting you will see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key.

6 When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

7 You will be prompted to repair an insallation press the escape key.

8 Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

9 Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have. This is perfectly ok if you don`t want to create multiple partitions.

10 You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.

11 Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING. and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back