thewolfe

Login screen

I got the following message from a friend:

"Something different is happening when I boot up. I get a box that is
titled "Windows XP Home Edition". Then in the box it has "user
name"---(Marie) this is in a box and then they show "Password" (and a
blank box). Below that they give you choices "Okay","cancel", or
"options"."

Is their way to disable the login window? I use TweakUI but she has never used anything and evidently did not have a login screen until now.

Yes.

Go to Control Panel > Users

Somwhere in there is a "Show Welcome Screen" you want to enable that. I don't have Windows XP so I don't know exactly where it is in there. (I have Windows 2003).

That will show the Welcome screen instead of the Login box and is more user friendly.

Also, you have to have a Login name if I'm not mistaken on Windows XP. So there's no way to just start up without using the Welcome/Login screen.

It's possible if there's only one user.

It should be possible using autologin if there are more than one user, too.

trying to setup XP like user login on Win2000

Hi,

I personally like the XP multi user login screen (user names and push buttons) and would like to install the same (or similar) setup on my win2000 notebook. I have the notebook in wireless network with a XP PC.

Any hint on how to do this, which product to use or how to configure win2000 for such persormance?

Thanks,
Christian

Mictlantecuhtli is 100% correct...if there is only one user profile present, it will automatically go to the welcome screen and load that profile on boot up. If there is more than one profile, you will either be prompted to click on the user's icon that you want to log on as, or you will be prompted to enter a username and password...depends on the settings you have specified in "User Accounts" I believe...you can revert back and forth to the traditional or new looks...I use XP Pro, so I can't be sure of the exact way to do it in home...

Install TweakUi, go to it (\start\settings\control panel\tweakui) and click on the tab "Logon". Mark "Logon automatically..." and fill in the username (and password if required, else leave blank).
Even if f there is only 1 user, do NOT login as Administrator, take the Username, but make sure that that user has administrator-rights.
Then logoff/logon or reboot to check you did it right.

login annoyance

it might just be me who finds this annoying, but since i'm the only user on my laptop and i have a password set up, my xp login screen (on both Home and Pro editions - home for the laptop, pro for another pc) used to just have the password portion selected so that i would just start typing the password. after installing SP2, i had to start clicking on the user icon (even though it was the only one). i fixed this initially by removing the remote assistance account. since then, i have added my xp home laptop to the home network that has been set up and also changed the computer name, and now i have to click on the icon (even though it's still the only one) before i can type in my login password. i just find it annoying that i have to click on the name before i can start typing, rather than typing immediately. this happened when i renamed the computer, and added it to the network. nothing else has changed!
any suggestions?

Well if you want to bypass this completely you can download PowerToys for XP, and it enables you to have an automatic login. This is helpful especially if you are the only user and you don't need it for security purposes.
However I'm sorry this doesn't 'fix' your problem, maybe others have another solutoin.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Just a thought, maybe it goes to ask for password if you enable automatic login but set the automatic login password incorrectly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back