Logitech announces two sub-$100 Harmony remotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Logitech's Harmony line of remote controls has been praised by many over the years, but it'is also known for being rather pricey -- except for the aging Harmony 500 series remotes. Looking to shake off that stigma the company has introduced two new sub-$100 models to its lineup, the Harmony 600 and Harmony 650, which will go on sale later this month for $79.99 and $99.99, respectively.

The Logitech Harmony 600 keeps things fairly simple with a backlit monochrome display, while the Harmony 650 packs a color screen and icons for both your favorite channels and for common commands. Both models support more than 250,000 home entertainment devices from over 5,000 brands. Compared to the Harmony 700 they mainly drop two features: they can control five devices instead of six and are not rechargeable.

Like all Harmony remotes, though, these models are programmable via a Mac or Windows PC and use activity-based commands to control your home audio and video systems.

Permalink to story.

Remotes

I recently purchased a 4 device remote for $8 from Target, which meets my needs. I guess you'd have to have a really fancy setup to justify a 5 device remote for $80+

Not to be sexist (but I will be anyway), the only people I know who use these high-end Harmony remotes are ladies. The whole 4-5 different remotes on the coffee table seems to baffle them. But for us guys - just validates our manliness. :p

I snagged a Harmony 880(refurb) from newegg for $100 and after using it I wont go back to a regular remote. I can hit one button and my tv, reciever, and x360 all fire up and are set to the correct inputs. Hit another button and bam, everything switches and im watching satellite. Definitely not for everyone but very useful for those with home theaters.

I can't image spending even $50 on a remote. I have trouble spending $20......

Like LightHeart said you can get a 4 device remote for less then $10, so why spend 10x just so i have to hit 3 less buttons, and plus as TomSEA said, guys need to have 4 or 5 remotes sitting there.

"He Who Dies With the Most Remotes Wins"....!

Not to be sexist (but I will be anyway), the only people I know who use these high-end Harmony remotes are ladies. The whole 4-5 different remotes on the coffee table seems to baffle them. But for us guys - just validates our manliness. :p
I'm up to 12, (with 2 dups), and I don't even own a coffee table. I just put them on the crappy ottoman that came with my crappy recliner, how's that for manly....? :rolleyes: :haha:

I wish they'd release a new high-end model with RF support instead. My Harmony 890 has been dropped on the floor so often that I'm sure I'll have to replace it in the not so distant future.

I just got an 880 and its pretty nice. Like Supra said its really nice to hit 1 button to turn on my TV and receiver and set them to the right inputs. Hit another button for DVD and it changes the TV to the different input, receiver to different input, and turns on the DVD player. Its 1 button taking the place of 6 button presses on 3 different remotes.

One thing that does suck on them is if you don't (for whatever reason) get one of the devices turned on after hitting that button, then its a several button process to get just that device back on and the remote back to being in the right mode for your devices.

I've got one of the higher end models and it is a sweet remote once it's all setup and programmed. The macro functions are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back