Logitech launches standalone Skype webcam for HDTVs

Jos

Staff

Logitech has launched a new high-definition camera intended to sit on top of your big-screen television rather than your computer display. The TV Cam HD is the company’s first self-contained webcam and Skype client, allowing wide-angle, 720p Skype video calls on your HDTV over Wi-Fi or Ethernet, without the need for a computer or a companion device like their failed Revue Google TV box.

The webcam features a Carl Zeiss wide-angle lens, letting it capture multiple people on the picture, and four microphones to reduce external noise. Besides Wi-Fi and Ethernet, there’s an HDMI-out port to hook up your TV (or anything with HDMI-in) and a power jack for the supplied power adapter.

logitech cam skype

The TV Cam HD runs a customized version of Skype and comes with a remote for controlling the software, zooming images in and out, and using the digital pan and tilt functions. The built-in ringer lets you know when someone’s calling, whether your TV is on or off, and if nobody answers there’s voicemail.

The TV Cam HD will become available this month in the U.S. for $200 and the next in Europe.

This isn't the first time Logitech attempts to bring video chat to HDTVs. The ~$60 Logitech TV Cam is aimed at the same market but requires a Skype-compatible HDTV or a companion device like the Logitech Revue Google TV that supports the camera. Several HDTVs from Panasonic, LG, Samsung, and other manufacturers have Skype support built-in but require a separate webcam accessory.

Permalink to story.

I'd buy it after the first or second price drop. I'd probably get it for the pc though xD

I'll pass. For $200, I can buy a new small netbook and hook it to HDTV without the need for a special HDTV or a Skype-compatible TV. Furthermore, I can use the netbook for other things as we know.

Really expensive.

wow, imagined two of these connected to two large displays and I'll have something similar to the cisco telepresence. it probably wont be as good, but it certainly wont be as expensive.

Just tested a Skype connection with two new iPads at either end. By far, Apple's FaceTime transmission was better than Skype. Might Skype be better with the new camera? I think it's
a Skype issue. Thanks for your thoughts ....

Back