Long distance printer connection

Just to say in advance: I have no WiFi in my house, don't want it. Everything is wired.

Old System --NO PROBLEM: printer shows up fine and works. Internet connection is great.
1. Canon Photo printer and ethernet cable (with USB adapter) connected to...
2. Powered USB 3.0 hub connected to...
3. 20 foot active extension repeater cable connected to...
4. 2013 MacBook pro running Sierra.

New System -- PROBLEM: Internet works great -- BUT printer does NOT show up, is "offline":
1. Canon Photo printer and ethernet cable (with adapter) connected to...
2. Powered USB 3.0 hub connected to...
3. 20 foot active extension repeater cable connected to...
4. New "Hyper Drive" (Best Buy) USB-C hub connected to...
5. New 2019 16" Macbook Pro running Catalina

So with the new system, the internet connection (with ethernet to USB adapter) is perfect over the 20 foot connection. But the printer does not show up. If I move the printer next to the Mac and plug the 6 foot printer USB cable directly into the USB-C hub, it's fine. But over the distance -- with the additional USB-C hub -- the printer does not show up. The USB-C world is new to me. Not sure why the USB-C hub is ok with plugging the 6 foot printer cable directly in, but doesn't seem to accept the long distance connection as given above.

Am I just doing something wrong? Is there a different type of USB-C hub that will work fine? Appreciate any comments.

How about leaving aside the new hub and simply plugging the printer cable into one of the freed up type A USB ports on the MacBook? You could avoid spending days working on this if it works.

I checked the spec and a 2019 Macbook Pro has only USB C ports so you could maybe get a an adapter for the two different USB connectors or buy a new cable. I'm not sure why you are using an ethernet cable. You didn't mention any other computers. With printer connections I've learned that simple is best.

Thanks bass. Here is what I did. I took out the second hub, the "Hyper-drive". I put a USB-C to USB-A female adapter on the end of the 20 ft. USB active cable. So now I have 2 printers (the Canon and Epson 3880) and internet which are all working fine. I also got a USB-C monitor, which is charging the Mac, so no need for a separate power adapter for the Mac, which frees up another USB-C port. (Actually I still have the multi-port "Hyper-drive" - I use it only for a wired mouse and 2 ext. USB-C hard drives.)

Glad it's working properly. I'm not keen on wireless connection for printers either. Everything will work flawlessly for months and then suddenly the printer doesn't connect - usually when there's something important that need printing quickly.

I usually connect the printer to ethernet and then all the pc's printer to it over the network.
Ethernet does not have a distance limitation for the home you can get 300feet over cat-5e. You can also daisy chain cheap unmanaged switches off of your primary router and it will all work at gigabit speeds.

That was ALMOST English! Not entirely sure what you are trying to say.

If I fix it I get " Long distance printer connection is a problem because signals disburse and become weak causing command issues and problems for printing papers."

This is NOT correct. If the standard for a cable system is not exceeded then it will be fine. Ethernet is 300ft (100 yards), USB max cable length WITHOUT a booster is about 5 meters but with a booster you can hit 50ft. In this case using a hub will automatically boost the signal slightly giving an initial run of about 10 meters. (5 meters plus the 5 from the pc to the hub.

Last edited:
Back