Looking for a Video Card or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello this is my first post and im looking for some advice. Im looking for a new video card. I have quite a bit of spending limit(Around $650). Im looking for a video card that is really good and wont be obsolete for awhile.
Heres my specs.

Power supply
ULTRA 550W X2-Connect Power Supply - Titanium(SLI ready)

Mother board.
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard(PCI Express X16)

Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz / 2MB Cache / 1066MHz FSB / Dual-Core / Socket 775 /

Ram
OCZ DFI Special Edition Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)

Operating System
Windows Vista

Some cards i have been looking at are
(BFG GeForce 8800 GTX / 768MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card)
(ATI 100-435843 Radeon X1950XTX 512MB GDDR4 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Video Card)(<-Two of these)

Any other sugestions or any advice would be great!

It's a tricky time for graphics cards right now, especially for gamers. DX10 is coming out with vista, and it is a completely new level of gaming. The problem is, there are not a lot of games right now that utilize the potential of DX10. They should start trickling out over the next few months, and when they do, those without DX10 cards will really be missing out.

On the other hand, the DX10 card's prices are still very bloated.

If budget is of no concern, and you do not want to upgrade again in a few months, you need to get that 8800 series card. It is a monster.

I personally ordered my new system yesterday, and went with an Asus 7950 graphics card, as here in Japan it is currently less than half the price of an 8800. I'll hang on until the DX10 games start coming out, then sell my 7950 and get a 8800 series. By then I am hoping there will be more selection, and prices will come down a bit.

Wow, you have a fantastic PC! :)

Get a DX10 card in the 8800 series. With your budget, the GeForce 8800GTX would definately be a prime choice for your setup. It costs $600 on newegg and fits your budget. For your system, I do not recommend anything other than this card. The brand is up to you, BFG would be nice but you can also go with the eVGA or the XFX versions of the 8800GTX.

You should not go with a Radeon X1950XTX, (not even two of them) not at this time. Yes, they are certainly the most powerful DX9 single-core video cards out there right now, but they were late in the game, being released long after nVidia released their highest 7950.
But more importantly, they were released too close to nVidia's DX10 GPU debut, when people already got their minds on DX10 cards than to think about spending a small fortune on a X1950XTX.

You should not be looking for a DX9 card if you want something that will not be obsolete for a long while. Get the DX10 8800GTX.

Hope I helped :)

Thanks guys this all helped. Im think im gonna stick wiht the BFG GeForce 8800 GTX. Iv read quite a bit of reviews on it and all are very good. And the screen shots are amazing. This is my first build do you think my Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz will be enough to run this card? If not what do u think i should up grade to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back