Looking for ADSL2 modem/access point/router which works while PC is off

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC Machine

I saw some ADSL modems which also ran your network (access point/router etc) which worked while your computer is off, but I can't find them now.

The advantage is power-saving on the main PC while the others in the network can access the broadband anytime they want.

Does anyone know of any good hardware available in the UK?

:confused:

All those modems "work" even without a connected PC..

If you want to share an internet connection to several computers, then you need a router. As I gather, at the moment it is one of your PCs that is acting as a router.

If your current modem has an ethernet port, then it will work with any router that has an ethernet WAN option. If you currently have a modem with only USB, then you have to replace it.

Thanks

Nodsu said:
All those modems "work" even without a connected PC..

If you want to share an internet connection to several computers, then you need a router. As I gather, at the moment it is one of your PCs that is acting as a router.

If your current modem has an ethernet port, then it will work with any router that has an ethernet WAN option. If you currently have a modem with only USB, then you have to replace it.

:bounce: Yes, my modem is only USB. So I look for a device with ethernet WAN option?! Thanks a lot Nosdu, I think you have solved my problem! Any extra ideas are also welcome...

If you are going to replace your modem anyway then your best bet is to replace it with a combined ADSL Modem Router, they are available in both wired and wireless, here's a quick link for the models offered at ebuyer.com for reference :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back