Looking for Password Generator

cliffordcooley

I just downloaded an application instead of using online utilities. I'd prefer to keep my security as private as possible. I understand that any application can phone home. But with online utilities there is no need in phoning home, you are calling them.

The application wants to install. I see no reason why such a simple utility needs to install. Seems kind of nefarious to require installation for a simple tool.

Does anyone know of a password generator, that is a standalone utility (doesn't require installation)?

INSTALL is the norm for Windows -- apps can't even find their' config files without the registry :sigh:

You'll need some kind of "scripting tool" that runs in the console window and just ECHOs the result for subsequent copy/pase

INSTALL is the norm for Windows -- apps can't even find their' config files without the registry :sigh:
That is what the devs want us to think. I know differently. I've seen many stand alone programs create their own config file in the same folder as the exe, if it didn't previously exist. Programs much more sophisticated than a simple number generator. Speaking of which why would a number generator need a configuration file anyhow?

Maybe I should take to scripting as you suggest and code my own. I can do so in both Command-Line and Excel. The parameters needed can be hard coded with option boxes/menus. No need for config files.

Of course you are correct -- someone who knows what they are doing can avoid "the norms" and MAKE code do as desired.

The version I downloaded was v7.0. I just came across an older version 1.5 that is a standalone edition.
Wi-Fi Password Key Generator Portable 1.5 for Windows​
I would post a link, but I don't trust the source. If anyone finds a newer version of the portable edition, please share. I'm still open to other options as well.

Why installation is so strange for you? :) Everything you download needs installation - it's a normal way of being. If you don't want to install any application then use online one.

Why installation is so strange for you?
Not strange, insecure would be the better word. Much like trusting in password managers. Why would I trust anyone with my passwords? Installation integrates the application into the OS, therefor creating doors for leaks.

In the end I programed a generator in Excel. At least Excel is not specific to nor is it associated with creating passwords. So no one would think to monitor Excel usage. All it takes is one malware/spyware to monitor known password generators. I don't know how insecurely they are programmed, so I will simply refuse to take the risk.

Not strange, insecure would be the better word. Much like trusting in password managers. Why would I trust anyone with my passwords? Installation integrates the application into the OS, therefor creating doors for leaks.

In the end I programed a generator in Excel. At least Excel is not specific to nor is it associated with creating passwords. So no one would think to monitor Excel usage. All it takes is one malware/spyware to monitor known password generators. I don't know how insecurely they are programmed, so I will simply refuse to take the risk.

If you think so then it's the only way out. But I don't really think that installing some generator on your machine means that your passwords will be stolen. It's a generator, not a key keeper.

If you think so then it's the only way out. But I don't really think that installing some generator on your machine means that your passwords will be stolen. It's a generator, not a key keeper.
Why take a possible unexpected chance? Or, better safe than sorry :)

In the end, I decided to generate my own using Excel.

The generator in the following link looks promising though. You can select the character set, word list, and format used in creating the password. There is also an option to create more than one at a time.
PWGenPortable.png

Back