Looking for recomended 512mb 256bit AGP card with VGA plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

mholt82

well basically i have tried to do some reasearch i recently built my self a new computer, now im wanting to play some better games i currently have an ati radeon x1300 256meg pci card. since i dont feel like spending more money to buy a new power supply and an SLI mother board like i really want just to have pci express i was looking for a good recomended 512meg 256bit AGP card that has a vga plug on it i tryd to look it up but all the model numbers and this and that are confusing, i can play games like half-life 2 with no problem but my time shift game lags like crazy even on the low settings. ATI or Nvidia im not picty when it comes to chips.

here are my comps specs

Intel duo core 3.0ghz processor
2 gigs of ram
ati 256meg pci card
500watt PSU

i'm not sure there ARE any 256bit agp cards... i THINK the geforce 7 series had some agp cards in it (i seem to recall there was an agp version of the 7600 gt) but if you're looking to do serious gaming, then you need to upgrade mate.

edit: misunderstood your question

I'd say you are wasting your money with AGP. I would buy a motherboard with PCI-E 16x, and a 8800GT video card for $180. The motherboard and that will bring you to about $280-300. Which is what you would normally pay for a high end AGP card now, that is nothing close to the 8800GT. A HD3850 AGP is about $200. Rather get a 8800GT which is cheaper.

X1650 has: GDDR3 512MB 800MHz 128-bit Memory 256-bit GPU
Look for this on Newegg

X1550 has: 256MB GDDR3 533MHz 128-bit 256-bit GPU instead it's cheaper by $10 bucks

8x or double that for PCI-Express but if you don't have a MOBO that works with PCI-Express then 8x is the way to go..

Nivida 7300 GT AGP 512MB GDDR2 or 3 whatever is available I've seen this on Amazon, still cost more..

well i found an geforce 7300gt it has 512meg 128bit i dont really play that many recent games other than time shift, i just want time shift to run better my ATI x1300 256meg card is just PCI and time shift runs alright on low-med settings. other than that i play older games like doom3 halflife 1 and 2 thanks though for all your suggestions.

mholt82 said:
well i found an geforce 7300gt it has 512meg 128bit i dont really play that many recent games other than time shift, i just want time shift to run better my ATI x1300 256meg card is just PCI and time shift runs alright on low-med settings. other than that i play older games like doom3 halflife 1 and 2 thanks though for all your suggestions.

I play LAN games on multi-players on my network here so older games is what I use Quake 3, Half-Life an etc.. Force Racing 2, 3 have LAN game features also.. I use AGP 8x on my AMD X64 and AGP 2x on Dell wireless laptops, I only got one with ATI X2000. Some onboard MOBO AGP 8x from S3 UniChrome Pro really quick I am amazed!

Oh one more thing what are Omega Drivers, i have the driver cleaner program i use when i test video cards, and i came across them, whats the big difference between the OEM drivers and the Omega drivers ?

mholt82 said:
well basically i have tried to do some reasearch i recently built my self a new computer, now im wanting to play some better games i currently have an ati radeon x1300 256meg pci card. since i dont feel like spending more money to buy a new power supply and an SLI mother board like i really want just to have pci express i was looking for a good recomended 512meg 256bit AGP card that has a vga plug on it i tryd to look it up but all the model numbers and this and that are confusing, i can play games like half-life 2 with no problem but my time shift game lags like crazy even on the low settings. ATI or Nvidia im not picty when it comes to chips.

here are my comps specs

Intel duo core 3.0ghz processor
2 gigs of ram
ati 256meg pci card
500watt PSU

AGP
256 bit (memory bus, not MB)

This is all I see around at this time:
6800XT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141026
HD3850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730
X1950Pro
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2918625&CatId=318

If you can find: 7900GS, GT, or 7950GT
Might need psu upgrade
For the $ your talking start looking for a PCIe x16 option

NFSFAN said:
I'd say you are wasting your money with AGP. I would buy a motherboard with PCI-E 16x, and a 8800GT video card for $180. The motherboard and that will bring you to about $280-300. Which is what you would normally pay for a high end AGP card now, that is nothing close to the 8800GT. A HD3850 AGP is about $200. Rather get a 8800GT which is cheaper.
True enough, but if he upgrades the motherboard, chances are that he'll also have to invest in a new CPU, memory and probably a new PSU as well.

mholt82, A good stopgap card would be a 7xxx series Geforce, but be aware that newer AGP based graphics cards in older AGP motherboards are likely to trigger the loop bug. Be sure that you've got a motherboard that is fixable through either a firmware upgrade or where other solutions are known to work.

The 7300GT is good enough for TimeShift with the latest patch installed. I've seen TimeShift running pretty smoothly on a 6600GT, so the 7300GT should run it the same, if not better. If you can find a GDDR3 version of the 7300GT, that would be best, since it's able to provide performance about equal to that of a 7600GS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back