Low Virtual Memory in Windows. How do I fix this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

almatreb

I keep getting a warning pop-up message saying that “Windows in running low on virtual memory”.

What should I do? If im going to remove some of my video files, music file, photos in my hard drive would help?

Which OS?

XP the set the VRM to 3072 / 3072 If you got 1GB this might slow you down also. If you have 4GB it's okay to use. The VRM pool is stored on the root of C. In the past most thought it would be better to have it moved off C to another HDD or use dual HDD for VRM. You could store it on two drives. If your running out of space. Make sure the HDD is defrag though. I use IOBIT Advanced System Care Free or Pro and let it check out your system clean and fix it also and see if it can free up some more space you might have over looked?

"Virtual" memory is actually diskspace. You'll find more info here

If you'd like more specif info/help, please tell us:

> How much memory do you currently have installed?
> What Windows OS are you running?
> Click My Computer and tell us
===> How large does Windows say is your C: drive?
===> How much free space does it indicate?

/* edit */
Also tell us if you're running 32 or 64bit Windows. Click for how to determine whether you are running 32 or 64 bit windows

Virtual Memory(VM) is where programs run, not the real RAM. The OS does page stealing so that every progam gets the ram necessary when needed.

As more programs are allowed to run at the same time (this includes all system services too),
more of the VM is need and thus more page stealing occurs.

To avoid the message “Windows in running low on virtual memory”,
  • run fewer programs at the same time; The first place to start is to "trim processes"
    and you can search for that subject for the how-to. It's a good idea for general performance
    as well as security reasons
  • increase the VM setting.
    get the properties on My Computer
    click Advanced Tab
    click the first button Settings
    the click Advanced tab
    and set the VM size; about 2x your real installed RAM

Virtual Memory(VM) is where programs run, not the real RAM.

I think it's just the wording.. as i know you know, of course, that programs are run in RAM not VM.

To the OP: I'd offer the following analogy for RAM/VM:

> Think of RAM as the factory floor were all the worker's do the work
> VM is the warehouse storing all pieces of all things that need to be worked on
> Since there's more things that need to be worked on that can fit in the office at one time, workers have to keep swapping things between the office and the warehouse

VM is too small when you have too many things to even fit in the warehouse! So increase the disk storage space allocated to VM to "make the warehouse bigger!"

I think it's just the wording.. as i know you know, of course, that programs are run in RAM not VM.
of course, but adding ram w/o adjusting the v/m is futile
and as you've see, I always recommend a fixed, absolute size rather than 'let MS manage'
because the expansion of VM induces a fragmented pagefile and consumes cpu like crazy and every thing suffers until it's done.

I knew you would respond :)

OK. I didn't have the time to find this link or complete my thought earlier... but just as a technical tidbit
of course, but adding ram w/o adjusting the v/m is futile
Historically, that was always true. But that has changed with the advent of 64 bit systems (I don't know if OP is running 32 or 64bit.. but that's why that's one of the questions i thought to ask the OP in my first post in the thread)

MS notes the fact themselves in this link How to determine the appropriate page file size for 64-bit versions of Windows
The 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows XP can support more RAM than the 32-bit versions of these products. When lots of memory is added to a computer, a paging file may not be required.

well thats cool thanks 4 all your ideas ill give it a try .upgrade my ram capacity cuz its only 2 gb the maximum memory slot is 4 "by the way its 64 bit.OS...ill try to defrag or reduced and delete some unimportant files in my system eg: video , photos etc ...iLL post a question again if i cant fix this issue

"Virtual" memory is actually diskspace. You'll find more info here

If you'd like more specif info/help, please tell us:

> How much memory do you currently have installed?
> What Windows OS are you running?
> Click My Computer and tell us
===> How large does Windows say is your C: drive?
===> How much free space does it indicate?

/* edit */
Also tell us if you're running 32 or 64bit Windows. Click for how to determine whether you are running 32 or 64 bit windows
@almatreb

Oh. I'm sorry. You may have misunderstood. Some of the posts were more a technical discussion/exchange between jobeard and myself then directions for you.

Before you run out and buy memory you should adjust your virtual memory settings first. Please answer the questions above and so we can give you the specific steps

man i didnt mizunderstood your discussion about the tech issues .I may be a begginer when it comes to tech issues but im a fast learner remember "research is vital" thru your discusssion i also read and gathered info from other people ....anyway ill post my answer again 2your questions tnx...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back