LulzSec, Anonymous launch 'Operation Anti-Security'

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

LulzSec issued a statement yesterday avowing its partnership with the hacker collective Anonymous in an open declaration of war against the "freedom-snatching moderators of 2011." Dubbed Operation Anti-Security (#AntiSec), LulzSec called for like-minded individuals to open fire against any government or agency that crosses their path. More specifically, the group encourages supporters to vandalize the opposition by plastering the word "AntiSec" on any government website or through physical graffiti.

Along with those antics, the group said that it's a top priority to steal and publicize any classified government information, including email spools and documentation, with prime targets being banks and other high-profile establishments. Apart from embarrassing targets for the obligatory "lulz," the group seems motivated to expose weak security practices. The message concludes with an attempted inspirational call to arms: "It's now or never. Come aboard, we're expecting you… History begins today."

Two days prior to announcing Operation AntiSec, the group celebrated its thousandth tweet with a lengthy press release defending its recent shenanigans. Unsurprisingly, many Web-goers disapprove of LulzSec's blatant DDoS attacks and the group doesn't earn any love when it releases private user data swiped from server infiltrations. However, it claims the alternative is worse: hackers who quietly steal private data and use it for profit. "This is what you should be fearful of, not us releasing things publicly."

Many fear the rampant cyber-attacks executed by groups such as LulzSec and Anonymous will prompt US officials to impose new Internet regulations -- especially given the rise of unsanctioned domain seizures. The "PROTECT IP Act" alone could drastically change the Internet by allowing US authorities to seize domains, blacklist sites, and censor search engines. Besides expanding government power, experts raise many concerns (PDF) about the technical aspects of the bill's DNS filtering requirements.

Permalink to story.

The US government doesn't really mind if these two groups hack the hell out of the net, it's what those in the government want, a complete shutdown of the free Internet.

West Virgina senator Jay Rockefeller was quoted "It really almost makes you ask the question would it have been better if we had never invented the internet”.

Hmm idk about LuLsec but from the countless articles I have read about anonymous the seem pretty noble. LuLsec attacked League of legends unprovoked and seemingly to only show they could and showing they could shows LoL security is weak? That's a free to play game, they knocked out there login service. I can understand if they are showing weak security in the sense of a organization leaving user credit type information out there with lax security. But to just take down a free games login system, I really don't get it.

This is very unlike Anonymous. "More specifically, the group encourages supporters to vandalize the opposition by plastering the word "AntiSec" on any government website or through physical graffiti."??? Come on, how pathetic are these people, and I strongly doubt Anonymous is involved just because two ops from one Anonymous affiliated website said yes.

They really make this world a crappier place…

I really think now that this operation is cointepro and hope that enough people do not take the bait from LulzSec/Anonymous.

There is also more bad news, Google this search term 'Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Videos'. The bill is S. 978. It's happening right in our eyes, our freedoms on the Internet are incrementally taken away.

Sorry , is 2011 really the year hacking got invented in? Are cyberattacks just starting to happen NOW, or is it only that all the attention this issue is getting in the press is so well timed because govts in many "civilized" countries prepare to pass legislation to censor the **** out of it ? (people in "uncivilized" countries skip rope, they don't have facebook). And secondly, even if it's so, how exactly does a hacking group's antics of exposing how UN-safe my money is in a bank - ANY bank - is supposed to allow my govt to sever the means they used to expose it?! Oh, and are a bank's computers supposed to have Yahoo Messenger working in the first place?

I think LulzSec is purely out for it's own benefit.
Talking about internet freedom is kinda off topic, since Lulz has been attacked random websites, such as Bethesda, Minecraft, Eve online (and a senate site).
I am not feeling the whole freedom, spread the love thing. If we want internet freedoms (fine), we should be open about it, identify ourselves, ask ruling organizations and government for changes, petitions, etc, before going hack crazy.

imho LulzSec is going to cause more problems than fixes and is going to give the free side of the internet a bad name.

The Internet protocols and network protocols in general are really outdated. It was built based a lot on "trust" between servers and sites. While I dislike the hackers work of disruption, I really think this will revolutionalize and prompt for a new and drastic change to the fundamental of the Net. I predict in 10 years, things will be vastly different -- a lot more secure.

This old Internet that the public is using right now is meant to be insecure and outdated to serve it's purpose.

Remember what Benjamin Franklin said "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."

Whatever Internet we be using a decade from now may be more secure but with less freedom for Internet users.

I can picture this leading to the end of internet freedom, i'm sure that's what the US government wants...to be able to strip every American of even more rights!

pinothyj said:
This is very unlike Anonymous. "More specifically, the group encourages supporters to vandalize the opposition by plastering the word "AntiSec" on any government website or through physical graffiti."??? Come on, how pathetic are these people, and I strongly doubt Anonymous is involved just because two ops from one Anonymous affiliated website said yes.

They really make this world a crappier place…

An anonymous group IS with them.. whether they are the "anonymous" you are thinking of or not. "...because two ops from one Anonymous affiliated websites said yes."

/b/ != anonymous

I could keep attacking your arguement but this is Techspot. :)

gwailo247 said:
Whatever the end result will be, we'll somehow suffer for it or pay for it.

The internet will only change. They are loopholes and ways through or around anything and people will still freely express themselves on the internet. Whether or not you know how to access what you want, that's where you will suffer... for your own ignorance.

Suspected LulzSec leader has been arrested, in custody in London, England. He is 19 year old and was arrested in Essex, England thanks to a cooperative effort between the FBI and Scotland Yard.

billyv01 said:
This sounds like, yet again, another Under Cover operation by the world governments. They CREATE the problem, The Media Airs the issues, The public is scared or angered, and the government offers a solution (to the problem they created).
quote]

Your validitiy has been hindered by numerous spelling errors. Even though it's an interesting statement, and I love coast to coast. I however think the gov't did not create lulzsec, at least on purpose. We've been so close to losing all our internet freedom from government laws which us the "people" have no say in. This is what spawns groups like lulzsec, this is what gets the people to stand up. We're being opressed again like our forefathers were opressed, all we need is a leader to lead us to freedom.

I think what lulzsec is doing is good, the gov't is over-reaching it's boundaries, time to put them in their place.

Oh my F#ck!ng god!! are we really going to let this happen again!! Govs just pull our hairs everytime we are learnig too much! IF THE MASSES KNOW TOO MUCH, IF REALLY HARD TO CONTROL THEM!, that why they create so much distraction, and watn to shut down everything that educate people!

Google, Lulzsec and anonymous are Gov puppets to take your freedom away! PEOPLE WAKE UP!

GO THERE:
zeitgeistmovie DOT com
infowars D0T c0m
coasttocoastam d0t c0m

HAVE YOU NEVER ASK YOURSELF ¿why in the world the google executives have goverment positions!!??

Guest said:
Suspected LulzSec leader has been arrested, in custody in London, England. He is 19 year old and was arrested in Essex, England thanks to a cooperative effort between the FBI and Scotland Yard.

"LulzSec The Lulz Boat
Seems the glorious leader of LulzSec got arrested, it's all over now... wait... we're all still here! Which poor bastard did they take down?"

Misinformation is a tool.

Guest on June 21, 2011 8:38 AM: Seems to have got the info of the arrest from gamespy.com

Back