LulzSec Reborn strikes again, leaks 10,000 Twitter accounts on Pastebin

Shawn Knight

Staff member

An alleged restructured version of the LulzSec hacker group has taken responsibility for a collection of around 10,000 user accounts related to a third-party Twitter service. This is the second major attack that the otherwise quiet group has taken responsibility for this year.

TweetGif is a service that allows registered users to post animated Gifs on their Twitter feed. The catch is that they have to provide their Twitter login information for the service to work, not unlike many other third party social network applications that have faced security issues. The service itself is rather small with less than 75,000 visitors globally and fewer than 700 followers on the company’s Twitter account.

The leaked data contains a wealth of user information; far more than a typical password hack. An SQL file that was uploaded to Pastebin contains usernames, passwords, real names, bios, locations, avatars, n security token used by the service for authentication with Twitter and the user’s most recent Tweet.

The hacking collective wreaked havoc on many organizations last year but activity was essentially halted after the group’s leader, Hector Xavier Monsegur, allegedly worked with law enforcement officials to arrest three members and bring charges upon two others.

LulzSec Reborn hit the scene shortly after, successfully exposing over 170,000 accounts from the dating website Military Singles. In similar fashion, those accounts were also posted to Pastebin for anyone to download and utilize.

It’s unclear if the resurrected group contains members of the original LulzSec organization.

Permalink to story.

I don't understand why they think attacking the general public is going to somehow achieve something. All it's going to do is piss everyone off and turn the world against them...

I thought the idea was to attack the government and the corporations.

I don't understand why they think attacking the general public is going to somehow achieve something. All it's going to do is piss everyone off and turn the world against them...

I thought the idea was to attack the government and the corporations.

Absolutely right. Not only that, but the attack victimized a very small company, as successful Internet operations go. Twitter might be able to ignore such an attack, but how's a small company that provides a few people with a clever service going to shrug it off?

All these *****s did was hurt the little guy. Cheer them for that? Not in this lifetime.

Their scheme is to show you how much info these 'corporations' actually have on you, and by attacking them and publicly announcing it. They hope to reduce the amount of people using the 'corporations' services by putting the doubt into people about what and how much personal information they are giving away, and how it could be sold/used.

It is a power play but not the one you guys think it is. This is a direct attack at ANON. Twitter has always been a sounding board. announcment site for everything Anon has done. Im betting if you comb through that info your gonna see a few of the ANON ppl on that password list.

I get they think they're trying to do something good, but "the twitter accounts of 10,000 users," isn't really something attack-worthy.

Back