MAC address Filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobwill

Hi,

I have a Belkin Wireless Router with modem (product = ADSL+2 modem with wireless G router F5D7632-4). I have 4 computers connected to it. 2 wirelessly and 2 hardwired.

I want to turn on MAC Address filtering as part of increasing security of the network. The router will does not appear to give the choice of what MAC Addresses are filtered - it's all or none. However one of the hardwired computers does not display a MAC address or anything else when connected to the router even though it is able to connect to the internet. When I turn on MAC filtering it is no longer able to connect. Any idea's on

a) why it's not appearing in DHCP client list or the MAC filtering page
b) what I should do about it.

Will

There should be an option to manually enter your PC's MAC addresses in to allow them to connect securely.
Try statically assigning a PC an IP address through the DHCP scope. Perhaps that might help your PC identify the PC via it's MAC address.

If not, read the user manual on your router.

I use MAC filtering for all access (wired and wireless) and I also abhor static IPs.
Using ipconfig /all for each system, I copied the mac address for entry into
to router's filtering table. On my router, I then associate mac-xxx with the ip-address desired, effectively creating a static ip for that system.
As the association of mac->ip is in the router, then I can take my laptop elsewhere
and leave the Nic settings for DHCP and not fuss with the configuration.

In addition, as I can force ip addresses in this manner, I can also set firewall rules
to allow or disallow access (as when a friend connects to my router).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back