Magical RaptorX Bios Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plague

So I have a Sata WD RaptorX150. It had been working fine for months when suddenly I got a disk read error during a defrag in win2k. Lost everything in the process of trying to recover it, luckily I made a backup a few weeks earlier, thought to upgrade for the hell of it and put in xp-pro.

That's the setting, here's the issue. After the initial read error, the drive no longer detects in BIOS, it comes up as "undetected" but it boots fine without any errors and I've been using it for 2 weeks now.

Every now and then I get a "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D" in my event book, but always when it's idling.

So the question. Why is it not showing in bios but boots fine, what is the error about and am I doomed?

Specs are:
AMD64 3800+
1 gig ram
MSI K8T Neo2 motherboard
AGP 7800 GS video
Creative X-Fi Sound (go crackling pops!)
Win2k and Winxp pro.
Every thing's drivers are updated like they should be.

I did a complete format since there wasn't anything left to show. My previous recovery attempts involved chkdsk /f and WD lifeguard but neither picked up any files after the read error, I'm guessing the master boot record was obliterated.

The HD is only 5 months old.

I did find out I had been double powering it just recently though, I didn't realize the wide SATA cable provided power as well, and used the standard power plug with it, but that's been rectified since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back