Major Bitcoin exchange Bitstamp taken offline to investigate possible security breach

Shawn Knight

Staff member

biggest bitcoin exchanges dark hacked bitcoin virtual currency bitcoin exchange cryptocurrency mt gox hackers hack bitstamp

Update: Bitstamp has confirmed that the service was hacked and fraudsters made off with 19,000 bitcoins, representing roughly $5 million at current value. It's not yet clear who was responsible for the theft or how it happened. CEO Nejc Kodrič says the bulk of their bitcoins are kept safely in cold storage and his company will assume liability for the stolen ones.

Original story below.

Mt. Gox was the largest Bitcoin exchanges in the world when it abruptly went offline nearly a year ago. Now, the cycle seems to be repeating itself as yet another major exchange has been taken offline to investigate a potential security breach.

Bitstamp, the UK- and Slovenia-based Bitcoin exchange billed by many as the most reliable of the bunch, suspended operations early Monday. A message on the exchange’s website notes the company has reason to believe that one of their operational wallets was compromised on January 4.

The good news, at least at this point, is that this doesn’t appear to be a major catastrophe like the Mt. Gox incident as Bitstamp only keeps a small fraction of its customers’ Bitcoins in online systems. The large majority of their Bitcoins – and more than enough to cover the compromised cryptocurrency – are kept offline in “cold” storage.

biggest bitcoin exchanges dark hacked bitcoin virtual currency bitcoin exchange cryptocurrency mt gox hackers hack bitstamp

As such, deposits made prior to January 5 at 9:00 UTC are fully covered by Bitstamp’s reserves.

Bitstamp said they will extend the service outage in an excess of caution as they continue to investigate the incident and will return to service and amend their security measures as deemed appropriate.

Even with Bitstamp’s reassurance, the news is no doubt concerning – especially for those that went through / lost funds in the Mt. Gox debacle. Japanese police now believe that 99 percent of the Bitcoins that disappeared from that exchange were due to internal system manipulation. Or in other words, it was an inside job.

Permalink to story.

This makes me so happy. When and where will be the next one? Better yet where is the crowd screaming "Bitcoin is more secure!"? If I felt secure about using Bitcoins, I would use Bitcoins.

I still feel it is a very safe and secure method of currency. This is just an exchange that seems to have had a security breach, this does not mean that the actual currency Bitcoin is insecure.

I still feel it is a very safe and secure method of currency. This is just an exchange that seems to have had a security breach, this does not mean that the actual currency Bitcoin is insecure.
And just because you heard a splash, doesn't mean the lemming in front of you fell into the water either...:D
Hopefully, the operators of this bitcoin exchange, as well as those of Mt. Gox, will soon be in prison playing, "pick up the soap", instead of their current pastime of choice, "hide the money". Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be able to write them in prison. I think people who commit gross fraud don't get enough respect. Those glamorous serial killer types have all the best groupies.

The mineral below is Iron Pyrite. Once upon a time, you needed this material to seed the goldmine you were trying to sell stupid people. Hence, it's also known as, "fool's gold", and is virtually worthless.
iron-pyrite-mineral.jpg

OK, fast forward to the 21st century. People are too worldly wise to fall for such an infantile ruse. So, we invented the computer, the internet, and then the bitcoin. So now, you don't have to get off of your sofa, and take a long, hot, dusty hike out to a fake goldmine, you can be ripped off in the comfort of your own home! (y)

Last edited:
Back