Major Security Issue - XP Home Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a big problem two days ago that my pc wouldn't start and i had to recover it without losing my old files.. When i recovered everything, files were still there but their registry was lost! One of my main folders gives me an error message

"Folder not accesible -Access is Denied"

I am the Administrator and the only owner of the computer. And when i go to properties of the folder i do not see the Security tab. Another thing is that in Folder options i see no "Use Simple File Sharing"

please help, any time of advice is accepted.

-Squall

Sounds like your account permissions are trashed. There are ways to prevent this, but I am not sure if there is anything that will fix it definitely.

BUT, here's what I might try:

Boot into safemode (tap F8 a split second before the Windows XP logo appears on boot) and login as Administrator.

Run System Restore and revert your PC back to a day before this happened. This will restore an old backup of your registry and MAYBE restore your account permissions.

If you were using Professional, I would doubt this would work. ;) But Home is a little more forgiving, so hope for the best.

If this doesn't work, then perhaps system repair will restore privelages to your Administrator account. You can try these instructions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/repair.txt

Originally posted by SquallRm
One of my main folders gives me an error message

"Folder not accesible -Access is Denied"
Is this directory "System Volume Information" ? It has permissions set by default so that you can't view it even if you are an administrator.

Re: Re: Major Security Issue - XP Home Ed

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Is this directory "System Volume Information" ? It has permissions set by default so that you can't view it even if you are an administrator.

well spotted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back