Making a video of playing guitar

Linda

My cousin and I are trying to figure this out. He has a laptop with a builtin webcam, Windows 10. He used the builtin app "Camera" to make a video of himself playing the guitar, and it worked, but was very choppy and poor quality.

I tried to duplicate it on my laptop, and I agree: the results are awful. So I looked online, found Windows Media Encoder 9, and can't get that working. Do we need a better camera device? And a plug-in microphone?

Does anyone know of an App or Install that will let us simply make a video with sound, with a better fps than 30? That was the best framerate we could get on 'Camera".

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Choppy is often due to a bottleneck in the data flow - in order to keep up to 'real time', the recording program is tossing out chunks of data. In addition to sound which is significant, the video generates huge amount of data. The recording program may be part of the problem - look at information about how to make a video on YouTube for alternatives. The laptop CPU may not be strong enough to handle full resolution video in real time, so consider selecting a lower resolution. Also, be sure you have enough RAM (like 10-12GB) or you may be caching on HDD (100x slower) - problem like this might give you a short period of good recording and then start chopping. It might be possible to 'get by' if you reduce virtual memory to ZERO and the recording program adjusts to this limit with a lossy compression.

Provide specifics if you want to get more feedback.

Thanks! I'll look into that! I haven't looked at my cousin's laptop specs,and forgot about virtual memory. I'm give all your suggestions a try!

Back