Man embezzles $89,000 from employer, spends it on Game of War

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Like cigarettes, crack, and energy drinks, freemium mobile titles can be very addictive. Just ask Adam Winger, a former library director who embezzled $89,000 from his employer and spent it buying in-game items for ‘Game of War.’

Having worked in the library for three years, 38-year-old Winger resigned from his position in 2017, three months after being placed on administrative leave. It was later revealed that he had been using city credit cards to buy hundreds of Amazon, iTunes, and Google Play gift cards that were used for microtransactions in Game of War.

Like many other popular mobile titles, the MMO strategy game is free-to-play but pushes users into making in-app purchases, which include gold packs that range from $5 to $100. Despite average to poor reviews, the game was one of the highest-grossing apps of 2014 and 2015, when players spent an average of $550 per year on microtransactions.

Winger pleaded guilty in Utah’s 1st District Court in June, admitting to theft, which is a second-degree felony, and forgery, a third-degree felony. He was also charged with creating and altering invoices in order to conceal his actions.

This week, Winger was sentenced to 30 days in jail and 100 hours of community service. Part of his plea agreement involved paying restitution of $78,000, which he did by selling his house and clearing out his retirement fund. Paying back the money helped him avoid prison, according to The Herald Journal.

Additionally, the judge ordered Winger to write a 10-page report on the book “A Million Miles in a Thousand Years” by Donald Miller.

This isn’t the first time someone has stolen from their employer to fund their Game of War addiction. In 2016, a man embezzled $4.8 million from caterpillar machinery distributor Holt over a seven-year period, blowing $1 million of it on the mobile game.

Permalink to story.

He saw Upton's pair and was mesmerised. That'll be his defence in court anyway, and with enough male jurors and a male judge it has a chance of working.
Speaking in a "broad sense", (pun intended), many models with Me. Upton's attributes, and only able to fit into their clothes, depending on how good the last line of coke they shorted was.

Read the sordid tale of former quite buxom Playboy model, Anna Nicole Smith: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Nicole_Smith

After doing so, reflect on the fact that gravity is an inexorable force, and fat wil alwayts render (again pun intended), to its pull.

My preoccupation has always been with more svelt young ladies, such as the ever lovely Kiera Knightley;

images

Mr. Knightley copped to the fact that in her first major role, ("Pirates of the Caribbean"), her cleavage was airbrushed on.

Speaking of crap "freemium" games, I truly wish I could escape the ever present TV advertising for, "Candy Crush Saga".

Last edited:
I also have a carrot on a stick game for anyone who wants to send me money...you just keep sending me money and I keep asking for more...it's a whole lot of fun...kids no need to ask your parents for permission!

Ugh I will never understand how you can so obviously embezzle money for so long and think you'll never get caught. No attempt to cover his tracks, just spending the ol' credit cards.

Last edited:
Ugh I will never understand how you can so obviously embezzle money for long and think you'll never get caught. No attempt to cover his tracks, just spending the ol' credit cards.
I wanna study people like that. And then write a book about their complicated brain processes that lead to accept and act ac accordingly. Simple answer I give myself is that there is no end of stupidity.

Ugh I will never understand how you can so obviously embezzle money for long and think you'll never get caught. No attempt to cover his tracks, just spending the ol' credit cards.
I wanna study people like that. And then write a book about their complicated brain processes that lead to accept and act ac accordingly. Simple answer I give myself is that there is no end of stupidity.

Just like the universe, stupidity is limitless.

I also have a carrot on a stick game for anyone who wants to send me money...you just keep sending me money and I keep asking for more...it's a whole lot of fun...kids no need to ask your parents for permission!
Shouldn't you have logged into your Facebook account if you wanted to get something like this going?

My preoccupation hasa (sic) always been with more svelt (sic) young ladies, such as the ever lovely Kiera (sic) Knightley;

images

Mr. (sic) Knightley copped to the fact that in her first major role, ("Pirates of the Caribbean"), her cleavage was airbrushed on.

She's way to svelte to ever be felt...

Back