Marissa Mayer believes Yahoo is undervalued

Shawn Knight

Staff member

marissa mayer yahoo stock alibaba undervalued

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer recently took the stage at TechCrunch Disrupt New York to discuss a number of topics related to the company she runs. One of the bigger issues that came up was valuation and unsurprisingly, the chief feels her company is undervalued.

Yahoo’s acquisition spree and focus on mobile has been well documented. And whether or not her mobile strategy will pay off is slowly starting to be answered as evident by the company’s last quarter revenue incline helped partially by its 430 million mobile monthly active users.

As the publication notes, Yahoo’s stake in Alibaba is currently worth around $26 billion but that figure could increase depending on how the company prices its IPO. Additionally, their stake in Yahoo Japan is worth around $9 billion with Yahoo’s total market cap sitting at $34.4 billion.

It’s still way too early to know how things will all play out and if Mayer has indeed turned the ship in the right direction. If so, then she’s likely right in her belief that Yahoo is undervalued and again as TC points out, it’s a bit strange when a company is valued at less than its cash and equivalents – especially when profitable. That could happen if the market cap remains flat and Alibaba’s IPO goes over without a hitch.

For what it’s worth, Yahoo's stock dropped more than six percent on Wednesday but that’s not terribly shocking when you consider tech stocks in general have taken a hit recently.

Permalink to story.

If I was to make an investment into Yahoo, wouldn’t I have to take that investment away from some other place, otherwise where is all these billions coming from?

So if Yahoo went up ▲in value, then some other place would have to go down ▼in value.

Why does everybody keep saying that their web site is worth billions of dollars?

Why does everybody keep saying that their web site is worth billions of dollars?
Well Virginia, Santa Claus isn't real either, yet people still believe in "him". You see "Santa" is really a black woman.named, "Oprah". But, you have to go on her show to get your presents, and the studio only seats so many. And well, the show has been cancelled.

Or, if you're stupid enough to believe that a string of random characters hidden on a public server, by an unknown individual who won't admit to it, is worth money, you're stupid enough to believe anything.

Take your pick
Have you been following things over the past 6 years? Billions is the new millions.
Not to mention the fact they're confusing millions with thousands in the first place.

Last edited:
What yahoo has?, it doesn't has an strong email, search engine or social network. I really don't see why yahoo is important.

Isn't that spunky of her?

Well, I believe that in the modern world money has no real value. Beat that with a stick...

She doesn't run Yahoo. She fronts it, in order to attract attention.

Most of these big sites tactics are about PR stunts to attract users away from other providers. Many of the buy-outs, that they let you know about, are PR stunts. They brag about having the next big-thing. The masses (who are asses), look towards the noise.

The truth is that there is very little difference between what each of them they have to offer. Users tend to stay where they are, otherwise.

"She doesn't run Yahoo. She fronts it, in order to attract attention."

So when men are CEO's they run the company, when women are CEO's it can only be to "attract attention"? I can see why you posted this as a guest.

I don't see any reason to use Yahoo over Google as a search engine or email provider. It's not about features, it's about getting used something and simplicity.

You know their news has quite a bit of political sway. I notice when they put up a totally redic piece near elections they turn off comments for that article. Idk how much the kardasians pay these people to keep posting their stories but that **** is annoying. Iv clicked fewer like this 10+ times. Why wouldn't they let you click none like this? $$$

I see how weak your argument is Miss OortCloud. If you are "Anonymous", then you must be wrong.

She was employed to attract attention. She has not improved anything at Yahoo, other than its profile.

You know that the bubble is close to bursting, when the contending service providers are all over-inflated.

Back