Massachusetts aims to ban the sale of new gas-powered vehicles by 2035

Polycount

Staff
In brief: In its "2050 Decarbonization Roadmap," Massachusetts has announced an ambitious plan to boost EV ownership and cut emissions: in 2035, the sale of all new gas-powered vehicles will be banned. Used vehicle sales will be exempt from this policy, however.

This upcoming rule is the second such statewide ban we've seen to date, with the first being California's identical rules (which have the same 2035 deadline).

It's clear that Massachusetts took inspiration from the west coast state, but in this case, that's hardly a bad thing (at least, if you're in favor of EVs).

Naturally, used vehicle sales will be exempt from these rules. In 2035 and beyond, you'll still be able to grab a pre-owned gas-powered vehicle from your dealer of choice, or a private owner.

Still, this rule is sure to be troublesome for carmakers that plan to continue doing business in these two states. The full impact the rules will have for the industry at large remains to be seen.

If other states follow the lead of California and Massachusetts (say, the majority of the US), that may be enough to force carmakers to stop producing gas-powered vehicles in the country, which would be a tremendous shift for American mobility.

If that does happen, we can only hope that EV infrastructure can keep up. After all, what good is an EV revolution if there aren't enough charging stations to support it?

Permalink to story.

It certainly will be part of the transition toward non-fosil burning vehicles but the states must find a way to force the electric auto makers to produce affordable vehicles. The majority of drivers simply cannot afford these 60K plus price tags and frankly, with the production costs lower, fewer moving parts and a few other factors, there is no reason for such high prices other than simple greed.

I'm all for electric vehicles and I say that as a car guy. I love tesla's as much as I love a big screaming V8, V10 or V12. That said, I'm not certain the world can produce enough batteries for an all-electric economy. Perhaps once electric cars start being taken off the road and batteries start being recycled things could be different. At the same time, 15 years is so far away that it seems like something politicians are saying just to make them look good. 2035 could roll around and they could "extend" that limitation for X reason for Y years.

It's a good goal to have less gas cars on the road and electric cars can be an absolute blast to drive, but I don't think "NO GAS CARS" is even a good goal.

The other side to this is that if we can produce enough energy we can make gasoline and diesel from things we pull out of the atmosphere effectively making cars and trucks carbon neutral

It certainly will be part of the transition toward non-fosil burning vehicles but the states must find a way to force the electric auto makers to produce affordable vehicles. The majority of drivers simply cannot afford these 60K plus price tags and frankly, with the production costs lower, fewer moving parts and a few other factors, there is no reason for such high prices other than simple greed.

Luckily there are electric cars for $35K then, eh? And those batteries and the development costs just come for free, no need to pass those costs on to the customer.

Of course those rules will be loosened the closer to 2035 we get unless we see $20K EVs by then, as these announcement are just PR moves.

I wonder what will happen to the oil/petroleum/gas industry.

And...wonder what will happen to countries like Saudi, etc.

Luckily there are electric cars for $35K then, eh? And those batteries and the development costs just come for free, no need to pass those costs on to the customer.

Of course those rules will be loosened the closer to 2035 we get unless we see $20K EVs by then, as these announcement are just PR moves.

KNDI will be producing the cheapest EVs.

Do they not realize the amount of pollution generated to make batteries for these cars. It's pretty bad. And most of it is produced in China. China is so polluted that much of its water is too polluted for even industrial use. Banning fossil fuel cars won't save the environment, but might even make it worse in the long run.

Do they not realize the amount of pollution generated to make batteries for these cars. It's pretty bad. And most of it is produced in China. China is so polluted that much of its water is too polluted for even industrial use. Banning fossil fuel cars won't save the environment, but might even make it worse in the long run.
This used to be true and in some cases, still is to some extent, but the pollution created from manufacturing lithium ion batteries is a fraction of what it used to be. The biggest offenders are cobalt mines but they'd still be producing tons of cobalt because of how much is used in stainless steel. It's also mainly India that's the big polluter from cobalt mining. If you want to talk about china's pollution, most of it is the mining of rare-earth materials used in everyone's electronics.

Naturally, used vehicle sales will be exempt from these rules. In 2035 and beyond, you'll still be able to grab a pre-owned gas-powered vehicle from your dealer of choice, or a private owner.

or you could just keep your pre-2035 gas car and keep it maintained. which is what you should've done in the first place.

choice is clear.

Yup called this! You kids are in for a treat with Democrats pushing this so they can sell our oil to 3rd world countries for as much as they can while preaching us to use battery powered cars that cost a lot are the way to go while preaching global warming and a gallon of gas will be around $5-8 a gallon. Oh man lol!!

or you could just keep your pre-2035 gas car and keep it maintained. which is what you should've done in the first place.

choice is clear.
This is easier said than done. Rust in the north east from salt is a major problem. The other problem is that modern vehicles are having problems with what is called "gasoline blowby" which causes oil dilution. Blowby in the engine is from the higher pressures in engines from increased compression ratios. In a cold motor the tolerances inside the engine aren't tight enough for the piston rings to properly do their job, sealing the piston head against the cylinder wall. The dilution of oil causes accelerated wear on the cylinder walls and bearings inside an engine. This problem can be mitigated by more frequently oil changes but never really goes away. In the era of 7500-10,000 mile oil changes I still do mine every 5000 miles and I highly recommend everyone else to do the same. Also, use a cheap oil-based undercoat before every winter to avoid rust from salt. You can do it for $50 yourself and takes about an hour. If you have an SUV you don't even need to lift your vehicle to do it. After I spray mine on I like to take a large paint brush and smear it around, it stays "wet" for around 3 days

Until the past year, Minnesota didn't sell alcohol on Sundays. So, folks that live near the Wisconsin border (or North Dakota border) simply drove to the next state over to buy alcohol on Sundays....MN lost out on a lot of alcohol sales over the years because of this.

My point is, Massachusetts is a small state and they will hurt for sales tax intake (not to mention car dealerships will hurt for sales)
car sales as folks go to a neighboring state to purchase cars.

So, I assume these states also have plans in place to make sure electricity generation and transmission will be up to the task by then ?

At least California seems to be doing fine with their electricty grid, so no worries there. /s

I don't why people think that just because batteries and electricity are used it's not more energy efficient to remove gas powered cars from the streets. Car batteries are evolving at a really fast pace and just being able to breath in a city with a lot of cars will be a huge boon to the health of everyone.

I don't get why *****s like gas fumes so much. it's like they're addicted to it. I consider people who don't support removing gas and diesel cars from cities INSANE.

I don't why people think that just because batteries and electricity are used it's not more energy efficient to remove gas powered cars from the streets. Car batteries are evolving at a really fast pace and just being able to breath in a city with a lot of cars will be a huge boon to the health of everyone.

I don't get why *****s like gas fumes so much. it's like they're addicted to it. I consider people who don't support removing gas and diesel cars from cities INSANE.
Good public transport is imho the better altenative. When I go to the big city next to me I never use the car - taking the train, subway and then walking is much more convenient. Outside of cities, this isn't a good option though.

Using EV, you are essentially moving pollution from the cities to rural areas and other countries.

An overlooker aspect is also that going all EV is that this removes the option of getting a cheap used car for the less affluent part of the population.

Good public transport is imho the better altenative. When I go to the big city next to me I never use the car - taking the train, subway and then walking is much more convenient. Outside of cities, this isn't a good option though.

Using EV, you are essentially moving pollution from the cities to rural areas and other countries.

An overlooker aspect is also that going all EV is that this removes the option of getting a cheap used car for the less affluent part of the population.
"moving pollution from the cities to rural areas" - ah... what? that isn't true. do you have a coal plant in your little village? And the world will be moving towards renewable green energy.

And there is a limit to how much you can rely on public transport. I know that personally since I use it every day.

Last edited:
"moving pollution from the cities to rural areas" - ah... what? that isn't true.

And there is a limit to how much you can rely on public transport. I know that personally since I use it every day.
Not arguing regarding reliability. Use it, as well, and there are often problems but it‘s rare that I can‘t get to my destination at all.

Still, it‘s a great quality of life improvement over commuting by car.

In terms of moving it to rural areas - that‘s usually where power generation happens, at least in my corner of the world. Battery production and recycling (has that been planned properly btw?) also usually don‘t happen in city centers afaik.

Also, when I say „city“ I mean the classic dense urban centers with work and shopping in a relatively small area. When you have dead cores and sprawl that doesn‘t work.

That said, cities are much better for ev due to shorter distances. That‘s pretty much the worst case scenario for ice vehicle with frequent stops and starts and the engine often not even having the optimal operating temperature with the resulting higher fuel consumption, wear and higher emissions.

Back