Max Payne 3 PC specs, preorder bonuses revealed

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Gearing up for next month's launch, Rockstar has been releasing a steady stream of information about Max Payne 3 in recent days. Yesterday brought a new minute-long commercial that aired during last night's Lakers/Spurs game on ESPN (embedded below), and many outfits have followed up with reports today revealing fresh screenshots as well as covering the game's PC requirements, multiplayer mode and preorder bonuses.

The PC version will support DirectX 11 effects out of the box including tessellation and "other advanced graphics options." Although PC gamers technically won't have to wait for DX11 graphics as with games like Crysis 2, it's worth noting that the Windows version ships a few weeks after console builds (May 15 versus May 29). We're not sure if the specs are minimum/recommended or what, but Rockstar lists some beefy hardware:

PC Specifications

• OS: Windows 7 32/64-bit SP1, Vista 32/64-bit SP2, XP 32/64-bit SP3
  • CPU: Intel Dual Core 2.4GHz / Core i7-3930K 3.06GHz or AMD Dual Core 2.6GHz / FX8150 3.6GHz
  • RAM: 2GB / 16GB
  • GPU: 8600GT 512MB / GTX 680 2GB or HD 3400 512MB / HD 7970 3GB
  • Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0 compatible / Direct X 9.0 compatible with Dolby Digital Live
  • Storage: 35GB

New Screenshots

Preorder Bonuses

• Steam $59.99: Free copy of Max Payne 1 and 2 now plus launch DLC including eight playable multiplayer characters from the original titles, a multiplayer weapon pack with the hammerhead auto shotgun, G9 grenade launcher and molotov cocktail, the ability to carry extra painkillers in multiplayer, and a retro Max Payne multiplayer avatar.
  • GameStop $59.99 (US only): The same multiplayer characters and weapons (no avatar or pills), plus a "Cemetery" multiplayer map where Max's wife and daughter are buried. The map is set in a wintry New York City with sniping positions, destructible tombstones, as well as circular fighting arenas in a "rotunda garden" and a "looming mausoleum."
  • Amazon $59.99 (US only): The aforementioned multiplayer characters, weapons, pills, avatar as well as some kind of multiplayer damage booster. You'll also get a $9.99 promo credit toward a digital copy of Max Payne 2: The Fall of Payne, as well as another $10 promo credit toward any Rockstar game located here (both are expire on June 30, 2012.
  • Others: Most other digital stores have the same multiplayer content with minor discounts on the side in one shape or another. GamersGate offers 250 "Blue Coins" (equivalent to about $0.25, can be used toward other GamersGate purchases), while GamesPlanet offers a 28% discount for UK shoppers (£34.99 to £24.99, or roughly $40).

Permalink to story.

"We're not sure if the specs are minimum/recommended or what..."

Looks like it includes both minimum and recommended, and yea, those are beefy.
You would think preordering would get you some kind of monetary discount, I mean, people (including myself in the past) are taking a risk buying a game based on trailers and curiosity.

Right, but I have a hard time believing they recommend 16GB of RAM for instance. That just seems odd. Maybe those are like the minimum/maximum specs they tested with, but not necessarily the recommended specs. I don't know. In any event, seems like it'll need a decent rig to play.

"Free copy of Max Payne 1 and 2 now plus launch DLC including eight playable multiplayer characters from the original titles, a multiplayer weapon pack with the hammerhead auto shotgun, G9 grenade launcher and molotov cocktail, the ability to carry extra painkillers in multiplayer, and a retro Max Payne multiplayer avatar."

Not buying it, sorry Rockstar.... launch DLC is an easy way to get yourself boycotted.

I just have a problem buying new PC games at $60. I refuse to buy into that or show any sort of support for that trend. Even if I were wanting to buy this game I'd wait till it dropped before I would pick it up. Also, 0 Day DLC is a no-no for me also.

I just have a problem buying new PC games at $60. I refuse to buy into that or show any sort of support for that trend. Even if I were wanting to buy this game I'd wait till it dropped before I would pick it up. Also, 0 Day DLC is a no-no for me also.
That is very closed-minded of you. Games are costing more and more money to create and yet people are expecting the price to remain the same or lower.

:|…

By Goddy. I'm surprised about the RAM and HDD requirements. I was thinking about the same if GTA V comes out. It could be more than that..

2-16GB RAM i think this is an excercise to make pc gamers think that the game will be something it isn't a technological marvel in game development, it is good marketing though i recall another game some years ago that had reccomended requirment of RAM at a similiar spec and even on tripple screen with everything on it never used a third of the so called "reccomended" RAM..

But these days bigger is better right...

That is very closed-minded of you. Games are costing more and more money to create and yet people are expecting the price to remain the same or lower.

:|?

Games are also WAAAAY shorter, half the content is cut out of the game to be sold to you piecemeal as DLCs. Yeah, games are costing "about" the same as they did 20 years ago, they were around 40-50 per title, but IMO you got much more bang for your buck with those games then you did with these. And don't get me started on me paying for the privilige to beta test the games, and spend hours pounding my monitor because the game is crashing, or some other BS typical with buying games on release.

Well considering this is a going to be a 32-bit game there is no way in hell its going to be able to use that much RAM in the first place. I don't know whats up with those specs tho, they are pretty confusing.. To me, it just looks like a range, notice how every part in the upper range, is the highest component that is out for each manufacturer. They should have just stated the more common "XXXX ---- or higher"

--But then again, this game is from Rockstar, you know, the game devs that are notorious for making the most shitty PC port ever... GTA IV .... You might actually need those high end specs to run this game :eek:

Hard time with the 16GB RAM? What about the 3930K, HD 7970, and GTX 680 at ~$500 a piece!

Sure, 16GB of RAM is relatively cheap, but I don't believe that was Matthew's point. 16GB of RAM for any current game is an absurd amount in just sheer quantity.

In fact, 16GB is so far over what anything else requires, it must either be a 1.) mistake, 2.) there's an alternate explanation (ie. max tested) or 3.) they have some serious touching up to do to RAGE and Euphoria engines.

I'm sorry, but if Square can bring me Final Fantasy games for $50 or less with the budgets they spend on those titles then I expect just about anyone else can too. I know the last one was higher, but I think they're following along with EA's trendsetting. If it's a matter of sales to offset the costs then make something good and it will sell. Skyrim really hurt my feelings with the $60 pricetag, but I waited for it to go on sale for $40 and I picked it up then. I'm sure Bethesda is pretty happy with the volume of sales for that title and I hope that if they knew ahead of time how well it would do they wouldn't have launched at $60. This is the only way I can speak to these companies... with my wallet and I'm sure if enough people did so things would change. I don't have any expectation to cause change, I'm just not ready to conform yet.

What's up with the specs? One user tried to suggest that it's try to trick user into thinking the game will be intensive, but you'd have to be an ***** to believe that, so I doubt it. This really sounds more like a gemmic to market enthusiast-level PCs.

I'd have to agree that a $60 price tag is way too much for a video game. I have nothing against paying a premium. But, as is too often the case when you make an early purchase nowadays, you discover that the game you bought in a right hurry still needs a fair amount of patching before it yields any sort of proper gameplay.

The graphics do look impressive. But I'll wait this one out. Hopefully, by the time all the important patches have been issued and all the annoying performance issues are resolved, prices would have already started to go down.

Sure, 16GB of RAM is relatively cheap, but I don't believe that was Matthew's point. 16GB of RAM for any current game is an absurd amount in just sheer quantity.

In fact, 16GB is so far over what anything else requires, it must either be a 1.) mistake, 2.) there's an alternate explanation (ie. max tested) or 3.) they have some serious touching up to do to RAGE and Euphoria engines.

Points 1, 2 and 3 can also be said for the recommended CPU and GPU requirements.

Except there are hard-coded limits on RAM. I agree that all of the "max" specs listed are probably overkill for Max Payne 3, but I specifically mentioned 16GB of RAM being unlikely because I believe the game will only be able to address a quarter of that or less.

Except there are hard-coded limits on RAM. I agree that all of the "max" specs listed are probably overkill for Max Payne 3, but I specifically mentioned 16GB of RAM being unlikely because I believe the game will only be able to address a quarter of that or less.

Very unlikely to impossible, which is why I didn't give it a second look. If that wasn't bad enough, look at the CPU's they recommend. An AMD FX 8150's performance comparable to an i7 3930K? HA! Maybe if Rockstar could guarantee either chip with same GPU could be run at 1920x1080, 4-8xMSAA or HBAO enabled, but highly unlikely if you already have the best of the best in hardware out today. Detail that high will most likely produce a slide show forcing you to drop AA and HBAO which would only make the difference in frame rate between the CPU's even more noticeable. The only requirements I could believe would be the GPU's, because BF3 recommended an AMD 6950 (was the right call), which of course was AMD's second best GPU out at the time.

Even if every requirement is real (doubt it), I'd wait for reviews, because I can't imagine this game running smooth on day one, because if they were real and it did run smooth on day one, Rockstar would be the greatest developer on the planet to max out the performance on three of the most important pieces of hardware in a computer today... and all at once.

*wakes up from dreaming*

IF the recommended requirements are real, I'm thinking day one performance will be worse than Crysis 2 DX11 patch performance + the multi GPU flickering rolled into one.

Agree with hahahanoobs, bar the bonus pack, getting the first 2 really old games is poor - a 10% discount from Steam would get my cash. It's about time Max Payne 1+2 was giving the HD treatment on the new engine. Owners of MP3 would get 50% off.

Can't complain about those specs, most games have silly 4-year old hardware listed as Recommended Specs. The casual gamer will take Rec. Specs for maximum settings.

Will TechSpot be benchmarking Max Payne 3 to assist builders as to how it will manage in different configuration?

It is odd how they list top CPUs from both camps, nice PR push if I'm being a bit cynical. We all know Intel's SB is better performer for games than IB and cheaper too - I'm sure this game will use 4-cores, if I'm wrong this could be the first hex-core game.

I do need a new GPU, bar that I'm sorted to play this amazing looking game maxed. Mix of third-person perspective and first-person reactive aiming is refreshing for the franchise. Its been a while but looks worth the wait!

Back