MaxBlast 4 HDD Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Variol

I just got my PC back from the shop and I'm trying to re-install Windows XP onto the SATA driver. The guy at the computer store was supposed to give my wife a floppy disk to use during the install, but I guess he forgot.

I have used the MaxBlast 4 CD that came with it to create 2 different floppies, but neither of these work. I have no idea what's supposed to be on that floppy. Can anyone direct me to this software. maxtor.com was stupid and useless.

It might help to know what was done to the PC while it was in the shop.
....I'm trying to re-install Windows XP onto the SATA driver.
If you mean SATA hard drive, the floppy is probably to install SATA/RAID drivers onto your motherboard for your SATA hard drive. SATA/RAID drivers for your motherboard can usually be found at the motherboard manufacturer's website, not the hard drive maker's. The drivers are specific to the SATA controllers your motherboard uses. They usually have installation instructions somewhere on their site as well.

During the install it says to hit F6. I do that and it tells me to put the floppy in. I put the one that came with the MB but it doesn't work. The conputer store emailed something (they were supposed to put it on floppy for my wife to pickup) but that doesn't seem to work either. Now they're closed for the weekend, so unless I get the software for that floppy, I can't do anything 'til Monday.

When you say the floppy didn't work, what exactly did you do or what happened? BTW, what motherboard is this? Did you try the motherboard's website for the drivers?

Are you setting up RAID? If your not you need not press F6 during installation.

The floppy doesn't work because the setup can't find the correct file. My MB is an Abit KV7 and I have not been there yet.

Perhaps you can install the controller driver without going through the F6 procedure. Try installing it through the Device Manager. If your SATA/RAID controller needs a driver installed, it will have a yellow mark next to it. It won't as automatic as F6 since it requires that you direct it to the proper folder on the floppy. Since you don't know which one it is, you can try each one. Windows will recognize the right one when you find it and "reject" any wrong ones.

Ok, I got what I needed and re-installed Win XP Pro.

What would y'all recommend as far as reinstalling everything? I would like to put Norton System works in; should I do this first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back