May have fried comp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having problems in the past where my computer would not turn on and would freeze and if i left for a while unplugged power supply plugged back in 1 hour or so later would work , that problem stopped happening.

But now 2 days ago i needed to put my motherboard plate in because never got it out of old case to put in new one so took everything out of my computer to put it in put everything back together plugged it in and turned it on, but when turning it on it would start up for less than a second the lights come on the fans start to spin then would turn off. To get that sorta reaction again i would have to turn power supply off from back for 10 seconds and turn on to get the reaction, i thought maybe i hadn't plugged stuff in right so about 2 hours ago i unplugged everything again and took it all out gave it a clean put all back together and now when i turn it on i don't get any lights or reaction at all but i do get a little squeak like sound which i think comes from the motherboard and then nothing again again to get that reaction again would have to reset the power by turning off the back again for 10 seconds.

I have Tested another power supply a thermaltake 440 watt and got same reaction.

Have tried using one stick of ram in each slot still the same reaction

Specs are
Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe Motherboard
Oz Tech Power supply 600watt
XFX Nvidia 8800 GT Alpha Dog
Corsair 2x 2 GB sticks (less than a week old)

Any ones help would be greatly Appreciated
Thanxs

You sure the motherboard isn't being grounded via a loose screw? Are you using stand-offs?

Is there thermal compound on the CPU/heatsink?

You sure the motherboard isn't being grounded via a loose screw? Are you using stand-offs?

Is there thermal compound on the CPU/heatsink?

just checked screws are tight ,and what are stand offs? and what is thermal compound do u mean paste? sorry bit of a noob

Thermal compound is often referred to as a "paste" yes. It's the substance placed between a CPU and a heatsink to close any superficial gaps in the metal-to-metal contact so as to increase the dissipation of heat. If you did not use any, or have an improperly installed heatsink your CPU might be overheating and preventing your system from booting.

The stand-offs go between the case and motherboard to prevent the motherboard from coming into contact with anything that might ground it. You want a stand-off below each screw hole on the motherboard. If you've not placed any stand-offs between your case and motherboard, or have a stand-off situated improperly that is coming into contact with the motherboard, it would certainly cause an issue.

Might want to disassemble your system and double check. Can't stamp a guarantee on either as being the definite cause, but, it's a good start to troubleshooting your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back