MCafee states I am on Windows 98 but on WinMe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave H

I have just joined this site and the reason why was was because When I down loaded MCafee it stated it had detected I was using Windows 98 but I am on Windows Me. When I bought this pc for my son a few years ago it came with windows 98 but my son changed it to Windows Me. I bought my son a new PC and he gave me this for my studies. (wish I kept the new one now but he has just started Uni so) How can I rectif this I am a novice on IT but before I went onto broadband alot of drivers were missing I.e for my installed modem which came with windows 98. Plus there are alot of Yellow exclamation marks in the C drive list of the hard drive but I would be here all night so I will start with the above first. Thanks

It might just consider ME to be 98, they are built on the same backbone so to speak. Many things will recognise things as 95 OR 98/ME. If McAfee is working properly otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

many programs will see WindowsME as Windows98, it is almost the same operating system. In WindowsME, Microsoft added some visual effects, some security updates, and a few other bells and whistles, other than that, they are identical)

as for your drivers, in almost every case (notice I said almost, as there are always execptions), there is 1 driver for Windows98/98SE/ME. so if you need drivers, just install the 98 drivers, they should all work fine.

make sure you have all the latest windows updates. (this involves actually going onto windows update from the start menu, "automatic updates" only updates security and critical updates.) make sure you do a full scan and get ALL updates available for your system, it may include updated drivers and it may even make MacaFee recognize your OS as WindowsME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back